Each week Discovery Educators are asked to report any events. These events are then added to my spreadsheet and sent to my boss. Your events show that your an active member of DEN. I also believe that if you’re an active member holding these "events" then you are sharing and making use of what you’ve learned in DEN sessions or from the blogs. Sharing is what great teaching is all about!
But what exactly is an event? Most people think that an event is a formal training where you teach faculty members how to use unitedstreaming. Some of you are not your school/district’s trainer and so you think that means you have no events. Think about it though? How much more do YOU learn in informal sessions? Probably a lot more than you realize.
Discovery Educator Network’s definition of an event is any time you share the power of unitedstreaming (or Discovery Health or Cosmeo) with 3 or more teachers. A class lesson where you use unitedstreaming with students does not count – unless you have 3 other teachers in there and you are modeling how you use unitedstreaming.
Acceptable events include:
- Lunch talks where you share with 3 or more educators ways that you use unitedstreaming or Discovery Products (Cosmeo/Discovery Health)
- Tip of the Day Sharing before school in the hallway
- Facilitate trainings, workshops or presentations that incorporate Discovery Education products such as unitedstreaming, Discovery Education Health Connection, Cosmeo, and Learning Adds Up.
- Share an integration idea over lunch with a group of educators.
- Demonstrate a skill involving unitedstreaming to co-workers before, during, or after school.
- Present unitedstreaming integration ideas during local, regional, state, or national conference sessions.
- Parent Night featuring Cosmeo (because after all, 3 or more teachers are hopefully there!)
- Discovery Science Night
- Impromptu session with 3 or more teachers on how to create a Writing Prompt and share it with the entire school.
- Planning session where you integrate unitedstreaming. (3 or more teachers)
- Team Meetings where you share information from a lesson or an idea to integrate unitedstreaming.
I’m guessing you have a great idea by now. Three or more people and sharing of unitedstreaming/Discovery Health/Cosmeo/Learning Adds UP and soon Discovery Science Education.
What does not constitute as an event is a email or an announcement over the intercom where no interaction can possibly take place. Now if you do create a newsletter, blog post, or disseminate information about Discovery Education in other forms – send me a copy. You get points in the "other activity" column.
And if you take pictures at your events (or any of events I host) please share. We’ll use those to create a North Florida Online Memory Book.
I’m attaching the spreadsheet for reporting events. The state should always be FL and the request should always be LOCAL. Other than that, fill it in. I edited a form to give you a few examples to follow in case you need a visual.
Hope this helps! You can report any events that you did and forgot to report. If you’ve been a member since July, you can go back to January 1. Otherwise, start with when you joined as a member.
How many of you have held some great events lately? Tell us what you did that made them so great.