I have been driving for five hours trying to figure out how to announce this. I had so many different intros running through my head. I should have recorded the many ways and let you pick which one you wanted to hear. Then I wouldn’t have to be typing right now.
How many of you love field trips? I do! They are fun, energetic and the students soak everything up like a sponge! Well guess what? How many of you like amusement parks? I love them! One great reason to live in Florida! Well guess what! We’re going on a field trip to some amusement parks!
Let’s back up and explain. A little while ago I was asked to work with Lyman Carter (from Rock ‘n Write and SciTech Treks). He’s helping to develop this great national field trip program dealing with science for 5th-12th grade. Each student who attends the national program will have a chance to get a 1 year subscription of Cosmeo – which we all know is just grand and empowering for students. So I was asked to help write pre and post activities for the students using Cosmeo.
Obviously Scott never spoke to my science teachers, but he does know that I LOVE theme parks and their educational value. Yes, I know, with Cosmeo – I CAN do science, but still. There were something like 500 key concepts to write. But that’s okay, I’m quick to pass the buck right on to you! Of course, we worked out a sweet deal first.
Lyman has such desire to have these fantastic pre and post units written by Discovery Educator Network STAR Members that he’s agreed to give away some prizes at FETC (need not be present to win). But you know, the prizes are only part of it – a small part. You need the experience. You need to see and do what the students are going to do in order to have a complete understanding of the whole deal. You need to discover all 500 key concepts. You need to be educated about all (okay most) of the 500 key concepts. You need to network with other teachers and share your ideas. You get my drift.
We’re going on a field trip! We’re going on a field trip!
(Sing that now!)
NASA’s Kennedy Space Center. Okay, so technically it’s not an amusement park – but I’m sure a true science teacher would think so! We are invited to this park on October 21st. Can you guess what we’re focusing on while here? Of course – physics! Did you think I was going to say space science?
Sea World! Oh this is one of my favorite parks! I love Spooky the Beluga Whale! I hope we get to go see her. I’ll have to teach you the Shamu song too! This park’s field trip is scheduled for November 11 and will be focusing on life sciences.
Busch Gardens– I have nothing clever to insert here except that I’ve never been and can’t wait! We’ll be here on December 9th and we’re focusing on life sciences again. Maybe we should ride a roller coaster together and study physics too?
Okay, so now you need the rest of the story, right? What’s expected of you, ya da ya da.
- We are limited to 10 people per trip, therefore you must choose THE ONE you really want to go on. Email me if you register for two of which one is your absolute first choice.
- You must register for the trips on the Discovery Educator Network Website’s Calendar.
- ONLY DEN STARS may attend. If you’re not a Star, you can register in case we have an extra spot or an opening later on.
- We start each trip, meeting at 10 AM. We end by 3 PM. You will not be able to have family members hang around with you as we will be in various parts of the parks (classrooms, etc). After we are through, you can stay in the park and play, so have your family meet you there after.
- Lunch is included.
- Our focus is for science, grades 5-12. IF you get something extra out of it, GREAT! But please be ready to write a pre and post activity for science.
- You need to be committed to writing a pre and post activity for science and Cosmeo. (We’ll help you with the Cosmeo part.)
- IF you do not get to attend the field trip, but would like to still enter in the drawing Lyman’s organization is having for the units turned in by December 20, then you may. Just email me. I’ll send you the format as soon as we have it finalized. You do NOT have to attend FETC to win, you do NOT have to be a North Florida DEN Member to win. (I don’t have a list of the prizes yet, but will post them soon.)
- This is open to ALL Discovery Educator Network STAR Members. If you’re from Georgia and want to come join us for a day of Discovery at these parks, please join us! We’d love to have you (if you register in time!).
- No travel is included. I cannot pay for mileage or hotels. Sorry.
- We will send you the details for the trip you register for two weeks before the trip, including any special log-ins, instructions, or assignments.
- If you register and cannot attend, please contact me immediately! We will have a waiting list.
It’s going to be a lot of fun, so please don’t let those pesky little details bother you. I know I’m looking forward to it. I must to be willing to give up all those Saturdays! Come on, you can join us for one of them!