My First Podcast

DE_BLOT_DEFAULT.jpg

Ub_sf_denHelp! I need your help! This is so exciting, but I need your advice.  I’m an avid podcast listener now that I drive all over South Florida and I’ve always wanted to make my own, but I really just didn’t understand what I was doing.  It is VERY important to me that anything I learn or do can  be used by the classroom teacher.  If it’s too techie, it’s not for me.

Podcasting is definitely out on that edge of too techie, but the potential classroom use has made me keep going.  I am sure I did everything the hard way, but this can definitely be replicated by the classroom teacher with just a few tools.  Here are my steps.  Please let me know what you would have done instead.  I need your advice!

Step 1: Wrote a script for this 1st podcast so that when I messed up, it would be reasonable the same on take 2, 3, 4, etc.  (I actually recorded three times- not too bad)

Audacity_4 Step 2:  Recorded my voice in Audacity – FREE! with a little $10 microphone into my laptop.  The sound quality is not good, I know.  Help!

Step 3: Couldn’t just K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Sweety), it just had to have pictures and music! What is better than PhotoStory – FREE!  I created a PhotoStory movie with Photostory original music and my prerecorded voice file from Audacity.

Ipod Step 4: To make it compatible with my iPod, I converted to a QuickTime movie in Adobe Premiere Elements (not so free). This file is definitely distorted since I made a movie of a movie.  What else should I have done?Convert_to_ipod

Step 5: In iTunes (FREE), I imported the QuickTime version and right clicked on the movie and converted it to iPod format.

Step 6: To make sure it had a little picture to identify it, I right clicked again and went to Get Info. Under the info tab, I added information to most fields and clicked to the last tab (Artwork) and my picture was already there because it was an enhanced podcast, but this is where you can add your image.Info

In_my_itunes I’m sure I am still missing a few steps, but that’s where I need your help.

I will be having a random drawing for a cool little prize for those of you (and you don’t have to be in the South Florida DEN!) who answer my easy question in the podcast correctly and follow the directions. But most of all, I wanted to share what I’ve learned so far and need your help to make it better.

This is the best file straight out of PhotoStory Download UBY11-06.wmv
This is the one I converted to QuickTime. It’s huge  Download ubiquitously_yours_1106.mov
This is the one I converted to iPod format. It’s also huge Download ubiquitously_yours_1106.m4v
This is my original voice only file from Audacity Download UBYours.mp3

Ubiquitous1_34 As always, I am
Ubiquitously yours,
Karen

Cool Quiz Builder events reporter

1. Mark Hall said:

I enjoyed your first podcast and I like the step by step directions. I am looking forward to being able to create my own podcasts, hopefully in the very near future. You are so correct that the students today can operate all of the cool tech gadgets but haven’t realized how it actually connects to their learning. Sometimes I believe that if we can get them to use it in a learning enviroment without them realizing they are actually learning then we can get them to embrace it more.

2. Wendy Norton said:

Your podcast was very good. I like how the pictures were put in, they are really beautiful. It is great to encourage new members to join such an awesome group with so much to share. I would like to try podcasting with my students later this year, to encourage the technology in the classroom and keep my students engaged.

3. Danielle Abernethy said:

WAY TO GO KAREN! Not just a podcast but an enhanced podcast! Woo Hoo! Maybe I’ll give in and try this soon. Doubt it. :-) Like your directions though. The only thing I can think of is to use some of the music found in unitedstreaming instead of creating your own in Photo Story and then just using Adobe so you wouldn’t have to do two. But I also think there’s a converter out there. Was it the Jodix Brad told us about that I used? I somehow got my Stars in their LabCoats on my iPod.

4. Michelle Brooks said:

Great Job Karen, as usual you have made what could have been a difficult concept easy to understand. Thanks so much for all you do in the DEN ,,, LOVE YOUR PODCAST AND ALL THE WONDERFUL PICTURES!!!

5. Linda Michael said:

Nice job! I’m just beginning podcasting with my students this year. It is a lot of fun. The students really enjoy it. If you have a Mac, iMovie and GarageBand are very easy. I also record the students using my video iPod. All you need is a microphone.

6. Linda Michael said:

There are two microphones on Apple’s website. Belkin’s TuneTalk and XtremeMac’s Memo Digital Voice Recorder. I have the second one and like it a lot. A friend of mine has the TuneTalk and uses it with Kdg. It makes recording portable and you can use it anywhere. You don’t need your computer with you.

7. Tiffany Bonner said:

What a wonderful experience! I hadn’t really understood much about podcasting before. The pictures and the music were fantastic and the sound quality was not all that bad. I am already envisioning how I can use this with my students. I must learn how to do this. I want to incorporate podcasting with the DIV.

8. Debbie Bohanan said:

I have done my recording in Photostory and then you have voice matched to specific slides. You can then add the music after you are finished. I like the idea of using Audacity to voice over the entire podcast if you don’t have something specific to say for each slide. The thing that I am still trying to figure out is how do you create an RSS from your Photostory? There has to be a way to make the files smaller. We should be able to figure this out together.

9. Carole Gooden said:

I am so glad you reminded me to download this podcast!! If this is your first, then I can hardly wait for the next one. This was absolutely fabulous. You make me feel like this special “elder” in Florida, and, as usual, you can perk me up when I am at my lowest point in a day, week or month. For years I have been referring to the “Nintendo” generation, and you hit the nail on the head when you said this generation knows more about technology that we old folks do. But you are so right, they know the mechanics but they do not know how to truly harness it to advance their academic achievement. Listening to your podcast, made me realize that my work in this district is not yet done. When I leave, in three years, part of the legacy should be that I leave behind a cadre of teachers for whom working with digital media will be as normal, natural, and accepted, as working with a filmstrip or overhead projector was, several years ago. Thanks for giving me the needed inspiration to try to incorporate this new technology in my teacher training. Way to go Miss K!!

10. Marie Coleman said:

Karen,
    What a great podcast – I not only learned something, but enjoyed the beautiful sunsets AND heard “ubiquitously” roll very easily!! I’m anxious to try your step-by-step directions! Sorry I don’t have any tips to offer since I’ve not had the experience – but hopefully, we can learn from each other! Very professional! :-)

11. Michele Futch said:

Congratulations, Karen! You are braver than I am. Hopefully, I will get the equipment to do this kind of fun stuff soon.

Thanks for the Discovery Card! I got it in the mail earlier this week. It was so much fun winning it. I can’t wait until the next challenge!

12. Elizabeth Pruitt said:

Awesome Podcast, Karen. I am getting back into a more active role. It’s been a crazy start to this school year. Listening to your podcast reminded me that I really am trying to apply technology to help my students become life long learners! For me, I am not an immigrant for the technology, I just have to stay current to the things around me! Thanks for all you do!

13. Maryjo Kaszubinski said:

Karen, I really enjoyed your Podcast! I may use it,if I have your permission,when I do a unitedstreaming training her in January. I am truly an immigrant whe it comes to technology, but am learning and using more thanks to great teachers like you and many more who are willing to share and be patient.
    39 years and still ticking!

14. Christa Matos said:

I loved the Podcast. Your voice was very pleasant to listen to and the pictures were amazing. I hope to learn how to make a Podcast soon. Thanks!

15. Ann Cooper said:

I am really excited about being part of the DEN. I can’t wait to receive my STAR status. Thanks to Debbie Bohanan, I am entering a new chapter in my life.

16. ellen budish said:

Great 1st Podcast! You have motivated me to get going on my first Podcast!! Can’t wait to share mine with all of the DEN!

17. Fotini Guzman said:

As always Karen has done an amazing job. Perfect in everything. Podcasting sounds like so much FUN! This DEN is incredible. So many great things to learn and do…it never ends.

18. Louise McGinnis said:

Those were some of the most beautiful sunrises I have seen. Your podcast was wonderful and the music was very appropriate. For a first timer you were terrific!

19. Jane Sykes said:

Great Podcast Karen! We are going to miss you. I learned a lot about the South Florida DEN. I’ve used Windows Movie Maker instead of photostory and recorded student’s voices on Audacity. I discovered that my laptop had a built-in microphone and it worked just fine with Audacity. Then we just uploaded the audio file to Movie Maker. I have not tried to convert our movie to a podcast though. Great job!

20. Karen said:

Karen,
    You are by far the *best* DENmother ever. We will always think of you, and the nurturing ways you always took care of all of us. We hope you will always keep in touch. You have such a special place in my heart, and in so many other educator’s hearts throughout Florida, and now in other parts of the country as well. You’re wonderful.