Voices of Youth

Failurenot
     I just got an email from my friends at the International Student Media Festival announcing a joint venture between them and the Hope Foundation (where "failure is not an option" is their trademark) to put together a video of K-12 student interviews to show to 2,000 educators at their international conference in the fall. Though there are some $150 gift certificates for the footage they use in their final product, it’s not a competition and you don’t have to do any editing, pay any fees or limit how many students are interviewed. Just send in your raw interview footage. Submission deadline is August 1, 2007, so get those student voices on tape before they’re gone for the summer. Here’s the text of what ISMF sent me.

"Voices of Youth is a joint pilot project between the HOPE Foundation and AECT designed to broadcast the voices of K-12 students from around the world to an audience of 2,000 leading educators worldwide in Denver, Colorado at the Failure Is Not an Option™: International Conference, October 23rd – 26th, 2007.

Voices of Youth will consist of ten 5-minute interviews that capture what young people
from different countries around the world are saying they want in their schools as well
as highlighting how teachers and other school leaders are meeting those needs. We will
edit these clips down to one single video and add music and visuals as needed for a final video lasting no more than 10 minutes.

We would like the interviews to be informal and conversational. There is no script, but the following prompts and questions will help steer the interviews in the right direction:
1). Please describe your school, your neighborhood, and your community.
2). What are your goals for your education?
3). What do you like most about your school? What do you like least?
4. What is the main obstacle you confront in realizing your potential in school?
5). What practices have your school leaders implemented to help you overcome the
obstacles you face? What additional help, or support, do you need?
6).  If you could wave a magic wand and make things happen in your school that would
help you learn better and succeed more, what would your teachers, principal, and others
in the school be doing differently?
7). What does “courage” mean to you? What examples of courageous leadership have you
seen from your teachers, your peers, or people in your community that motivate or
inspire you towards success?

There is no fee to enter and no limit to the number of entries you can submit. Those entries that are selected will receive recognition at the conference and HOPE will award a gift certificate of $150 to be used for technology purchases at your school for those entries chosen.

Please send your entries to the attention of: Andrew Libby, HOPE Foundation, 1252 N. Loesch Road, Bloomington, IN 47402-0906.

The deadline for entering submissions is August 1st, 2007.

About The HOPE Foundation
Founded in 1989, the HOPE Foundation (Harnessing Optimism and Potential through Education) is a non-profit, 501c3, whose Honorary Chair is Nobel Laureate, Arch Bishop Desmond Tutu. The mission of the HOPE Foundation is to support educational leaders over time to create school cultures where failure is not an option for any student."