VSTE board member and VA STAR DEN member Jill Baedke wanted to make sure all VA DEN members knew that VSTE board nominations are now open. You can nominate someone or you can even nominate yourself. The information below is was taken directly form the VSTE site.
You are invited to nominate yourself or a colleague to be considered for election to the VSTE Board of Directors, for the 2007-08 Board year. This is an opportunity to become involved in the key decision-making group for the Virginia Society for Technology in Education. The online election, which will be held in January 2007, is for seven seats on the Board of Directors.
ABOUT THE VSTE BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
1. The Board’s term runs from July 1 – June 30. The Board’s term of office is two years, staggered, with no term limits. Thus, six of twelve Board member seats are up for election each year. For this election, six seats are open for a two year term and one seat is open to fill out the one year remaining in a current two year term. Of all the candidates running in the election, those six receiving the highest number of votes will win the two year terms. The seventh highest vote getter will win the one year term.
2. The Board has provisions for non-voting liaisons to participate in Board activities and decision-making. Currently the Virginia Department of Education provides a liaison to the VSTE Board of Directors. Liaisons are NOT counted in the 12 elected Board member positions.
3. At the last meeting of each year, the Board elects (with new incoming Board members participating) its Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer, for the coming year.
GENERAL EXPECTATIONS OF BOARD MEMBERS:
1. Board Meetings are held either in person or via conference call. The Executive Committee (Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary, and Treasurer) will have meetings at times when the Board is not scheduled to meet. The general schedule is as follows:
August – Executive Committee (Call)
September – Board of Directors (Face to Face – TBD)
November – Executive Committee (Call)
December – Board of Directors (Face to Face – TBD)
February – Executive Committee (Call)
March – Board of Directors (Call)
April May – Executive Committee (Call)
June – Board of Directors Retreat (Face to Face – TBD)
2. Board Meetings (face to face) will generally be held on Saturdays. Conference Calls will be held in the evenings. Board members will collaboratively decide dates for meetings and calls.
3. Board members are expected to participate in Board activities. Such activities include meeting attendance and electronic discussions amongst the Board, via the Board electronic email list.
4. Travel expenses are not provided for Board members, but expenses during the meetings (meals and lodging (as appropriate)) are provided for.
5. This is considered a working board of directors. In that capacity, the Board, among other items, will set policy and direction for the organization; will carry the banner for the society; and will select, hire, and direct the Executive Director (who will be responsible for the day to day business of the organization).
You are invited to nominate a candidate (including yourself) for consideration in the 2007-09 VSTE Board of Directors election. If you are interested, please download and submit via email the “editable” PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org. A nomination is considered “received” when the filled in form is received, in accordance with the following schedule:
Deadline for return of completed nomination forms (November 10, 2006 at 5 PM EST)
VSTE Board of Directors Online Election (January 15, 2007 – February 15, 2007)
Please let us know, via email to email@example.com, if you have any questions or need further information. Thank you for your participation.
VSTE Elections Committee