Are you looking for some timely, holiday-themed resources and activities to engage your students while reinforcing global learning? If you are, Discovery School may have just what you are seeking.
I know that as the calendar approaches major holidays (read – time off from school) it can be a challenge to maintain student engagement and sustain attention. Let’s all be thankful for Kathy Schrock – Kathy Schrock’s Guide for Educators on Discovery School contains myriad educational resources to accompany most major holidays.
Although it is easy to get lost amid the countless resources that Kathy has compiled for teachers, don’t neglect the other terrific resources on Discovery School:
- Puzzlemaker – Create and print customized word search, criss-cross, math puzzles, and more using your own word lists.
- Lesson Plan Library – View lesson plans for elementary, middle and high school students. Lesson plans correspond to VHS and DVD titles located in The Store. Find hundreds of original lesson plans, all written by teachers for teachers. Use the pull-down menus below to browse by subject, grade, or both. (Of course, as a member of the Discovery Educator Network, you have access to many more teacher-generated lesson activities and as a STAR Discovery Educator you have full access and download capability to the complete library of thousands of lesson plans, activities, and assessments created by STARs from across the country. Check out the Educator Resources tab the next time you sign into the Discovery Educator Network.)
- Curriculum Center – Here you will find classroom activities supporting core curriculum topics. The correlated Discovery Education videos and CD-ROMs provide a wealth of knowledge.
- Clip Art Gallery – Add graphics to your next project, whether it’s for home or school. Choose from hundreds of original clip art pieces, including animations!
- Brain Boosters
- Learning Adventures
- Discovery Channel Young Scientist Challenge
- Science Fair Central (co-sponsored by Elmer’s Glue)
- On TV – The Discovery Networks — Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, Discovery Health — provide continuing support to Cable in the Classroom by offering educational programs for grades K-12.
So, if you are looking for some high-quality digital extensions of your classroom instruction, turn to Discovery School for resources and inspiration. If you a STAR Discovery Educator who is willing to share your lesson activities and resources, be sure to upload your ideas to share with other DEs through the Discovery Educator Network.