T Minus 16

ysc08winner.jpg
Just 16 days and counting til the deadline for the Discovery Education & 3M Young Scientist Challenge 5th-8th grade video applications are due. The YSC site has a list of helpful links to presentations that Hall and I did specifically for this nation wide search. I haven’t seen any of this year’s entries yet but you can see, and your students can learn from, past young scientists in a couple of different ways:

ysc08challengenasa2.jpg   The Fall 2008 challenges at the Goddard Space Center.

And if you have a Discovery Education streaming account, log in and search on “young scientist challenge.” You will be able to view last year’s Science Channel special with the finalists and well as ’07’s show with the MythBusters along with a few other clips. I especially like “The Eye in Inspiration.”  And if you don’t have a streaming subscription yet, you might want to look into a free trial.

Also, the International Student Media Festival has opened it’s entry window. Your students have until May 31st (June 30th for International entries) to enter a project in a number of categories from still photos to websites to podcasts to videos just to name a few. P.S. there is a “request a deadline extension” link on their page but I have no idea what that policy is.