Nation's Oldest Student Media Festival

logo-csmmf.JPGSaturday, May 30, the nation’s old event celebrating student media and multimedia, the 43rd California Student Media & Multimedia Festival was held in two California locations.  As the host for 16 years, it was a renewing pleasure to see the fabulous work students and teachers are capable of.   In an era when high stakes tests, not projects, are used as measure, it was gratifying to hear student after student plaques.JPGtalk about the power and effect of media on their learning.  The science winner said “Can you imagine me trying to explain to you the nature of water’s electrons without video?” (He had made an ultraslow motion video of a water balloon popping to show the adhesive and cohesive properties resulting from the charge of the water’s electrons.  Wow.).  There were projects from primary through high school, in English, Spanish, Korean, and Japanese.  Many envelopes were pushed.  The Festival is sponsored by Wells Fargo Bank and supported by Discovery Education.  All winning classrooms earned nice products from Discovery and overall winners got $1,000 from Wells Fargo.  Festival janet-english.JPGcoordinator is Janet English, Senior Education Director at partner station KOCE-TV, PBS in Orange County, California. DEN stars Dennis dennis.JPGGrice (pictured) and Karen Green were supportive volunteers, along with Sandy PaulBrad Upshaw was in the audience for a change.  See some of the winners at the wiki site set up to get input on the overall winners.  The winners‘ speeches were compelling, the video and multimedia projects were moving, and a it was a great time.  At the Center for Innovation at Foothill College (north) and the Huntington Beach Cultural Arts and Library (south), all delcampo.JPGpresent got an immersion into the power of video for learning. Check out some of the winners, linked from Media Share, like Balloon Project.  More pictures are coming, but here are the Secondary Overall Winners from “Space Troopers of the 23rd Century” with teacher Robert DelCampo, whose students last year submitted the great”Who Am I?”  While you are checking out winners, check out team Dead Weight’s project from West Branch, Iowa  the very first winners of the Siemens We Can Change the World Sustainability Challenge!

Comments

1. Joe Brennan

What a great celebration of student learning and sharing! And what elegant testimony to the power of student created video!!