Yesterday morning President Obama issued a call to action to increase science literacy among students nationwide. Discovery Education is leading the new “Be the Future” initiative by introducing STEM Connect and delivering this resource to ALL Discovery Education streaming subscribers at no additional charge. You can watch President Obama’s address here. After the President’s address, Secretary of Education Arne Duncan and Office of Science and Technology Policy Director Dr. John P. Holdren answered questions about the “Educate to Innovate” initiative. You can view the video of the Q&A here.
In addition to Discovery’s STEM Resources, here are some additional sites to get you started with STEM education.
- VA Department of Ed Children’s Engineering – http://www.doe.virginia.gov/VDOE/Instruction/CTE/te/K-5/Engineering/
- Virginia’s Children’s Engineering Council – http://www.childrensengineering.org/
- TeachEngineering: Resources for K-12 – http://www.teachengineering.org/
- Engineering Interact – http://engineeringinteract.org/interact.htm
- PBS STEM Resources – http://www.pbs.org/teachers/stem/
- EIE: Engineering is Elementary – http://www.mos.org/eie/20_unit.php