Yesterday, rumors hit the internet that Yahoo is going to be closing down the Delicious social bookmarking site. But don’t worry, fellow Delicious users, there are other great options out there for you. You don’t have to lose your bookmarks or your social network!
First of all, you’ll want to back up your bookmarks in Delicious. Even if we are able to keep Delicious, this isn’t a bad idea to do anyways occasionally. In order to save your bookmarks in Delicious, follow these easy steps.
1. Log in to your Delicious account.
2. Click on Settings at the top right of the page.
3. Under the BOOKMARKS sub-heading, click Export/Download Your Bookmarks.
4. Be sure to keep the box checked to save your tags so that all that hard work you’ve done categorizing will stay with your bookmarks.
5. Click EXPORT to save the HTML file of your bookmarks.
6. Choose where you want to save the file, and that’s it. Now, if you choose a new site for keeping your bookmarks, you can upload that file and have everything at your fingertips again.
If you are shopping around for a new social bookmarking site, you might want to give Diigo a try. There are a lot of perks to what Diigo has to offer, like educator and student accounts, groups, the ability to annotate and sticky note your sites, and more. There’s even a Discovery Educator Network group on Diigo, where you can find resources being shared by other DEN members around the globe. The Diigo Help Section has great resources, tutorials and videos to get you started.
This article on Free Technology for Teachers has a few more great tips!