I can grow with a little help from my friends…
As educators, we need to continue our journey on the road to discovery and be life-long learners. It is always appreciated when a friend passes along an opportunity to collaborate and learn with others in the field of education. I have recently received two such opportunities that I would like to share with you. The first being FREE online courses through the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education entitled the Massachusetts FOCUS Academy. A detailed description and course syllabus is available at the website. This is a great opportunity. Please note that classes will begin at the beginning of October.
Below is a detailed statement released by this organization:
The Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education is pleased to announce that courses available through The Massachusetts FOCUS Academy (MFA) initiative are now posted. The MFA initiative is designed to improve the outcomes for students with disabilities while increasing the retention of highly qualified personnel. This is a five year federal grant to develop a cost free statewide professional development system for educators. There are presently nine 3-credit graduate level courses available to Massachusetts educators. These courses are delivered through the Massachusetts Online Network for Education (MassONE).
The following courses will be offered this fall, 2011.
• Creating Positive Learning Environments: Part I
• Implementing Collaborative Teaching
• Differentiated Instruction
• Generalist Transition Planning I
• How to Partner with Families of Middle and High School Students with Disabilities to Achieve Success
• Parent and Professional Partnerships: Transition Planning for Students with Disabilities in Middle and High School
• Youth Development and Self-Determination
• Universal Design for Learning (101): Meeting the Needs of Diverse Learners
• Universal Design for Learning /Mathematics (M101): Meeting the Needs of Diverse Learners
Participants will receive 67.5 PDPs upon course completion and will also have the option to purchase graduate level units at a discounted rate through each of the partnering institutions of higher education.
Applications can be found at http://www.doe.mass.edu/sped/mfa/default.html.
Another fantastic resource is the MassCUE professional development site. http://masscue.org/pd/index.html
There are a variety of classes integrating different technology tools and programs addressing all grade levels. The dates of the classes as well as detailed information can be found at the website.
Just as students are returning to school, so is this the season for teachers to expand their resources and learn from each other. Enjoy!
posted by Christine Cote