Planning on attending PETE&C in February? Are you a STAR? Guess what? Discovery is taking over the Pre-Con! That’s right. The entire day is going to be a blast!
DEN STARS should register for the pre-conference here: http://links.discoveryeducation.com/petec2012
The Discovery Educator Network (DEN) is pleased to present a special full-day pre-conference event. The day will provide educators with an exciting and enriching day of professional development focused on creative and effective ways to use digital media in the classroom.
This year’s thematic sessions will help you answer the following questions:
- How do I engage my students with content and resources that interest them while maintaining a focus on my instructional goals and standards?
- How can I transform my instructional practices to take my students beyond the classroom walls?
- How do I help my students achieve in the context of 21st century student outcomes? And, how do I measure their success?
Why should you attend?
- Customize your own schedule as you select three breakout sessions out of nearly a dozen choices that match your specific interests and needs.
- Mix and match your session choices or focus on a particular topic including Digital Storytelling, Instructional Leadership, and STEM.
- Learn from Discovery Education’s experts including our DEN Gurus.
- See over 25 examples of what other educators are doing in their classrooms during our interactive lunch and learn session.
- Meet this year’s PETE&C keynote speaker, Reed Timmer, TVN lead storm chaser and meteorologist from Discovery Channel’s Storm Chasers.
Participants will have multiple sessions to choose from including the following featured sessions:
iThink iNeed iPads in the Classroom
with Steve Dembo
Sure they’re bright and shiny, but are they really learning devices? We’ll take a close look at how exactly these technologies are being leveraged in the classroom and what the best Apps are for educational purposes. We’ll also explore some creative ways that you can fund your own i-initiative!
Taking Leadership in the Digital Age: Linking Engagement, Assessment & Achievement
with Hall Davidson
The benefits of the digital world have arrived. State legislatures recognized dynamic teaching and assessment environments match 21st Century learning styles. As a result, laws changed in states across the country, enabling digital supplementary materials to replace traditional texts. Suddenly, differentiated instruction became more effective, along with accountability and sharing. Leaders can now build an education that lifts their students into the world where they succeed.
The Collective Brain (AKA Things I’ve Learned from 5,000 Teachers)
with Lance Rougeux
Leverage the power of community and learn effective ways to engage and inspire your students. During this session we will explore the ten latest, greatest and most effective resources and strategies shared by teachers of the Discovery Educator Network. You’ll leave the session with a ton of new ideas, tools and resources to start using tomorrow in your classroom.
Creating an Integrated STEM Curriculum
with Patti Duncan
Historically, the STEM concepts of science, technology, engineering and math have been taught independently of each other. Students travel from class to class with little understanding of the connection between each and struggle with making the connections. Being able to solve real world problems is a skill that requires the ability to see how these concepts work together. By creating lessons that integrate the concepts together we expose students to situations that help them develop problem-solving skills. During this session we will explore examples of integrated lessons as well as investigate how to turn traditional lessons into ones that help build our critical thinkers of tomorrow.
Lunch will be provided. Registration for this full-day pre-conference event is limited so save your spot now:
Note: This event is free for STAR Discovery Educators.
STAR Discovery Educators should contact Max_Brooks@Discovery.com for more details.