Every educator knows, this is the time of year when reeling your school of students in from the holiday excitement could prove to be a challenge even for the most experienced fishermen… I mean teachers. The trick becomes learning how to lure students into learning. What bait do you have in your box?
There’s an ocean full of resources on the web, but one of my favorite sites is Explore the Blue. What I love most about this website is the 28 cross-curricular lesson plans. With time being a critical factor, these resources allow me to double up on core content areas with a topic students love most, exploring their world!
- Physical Education – Go Fish Tag
- Teach students about living a healthy active lifestyle and the sport of fishing by taking a new twist to the game of tag.
- Math – Sizing Up a Fish
- Every student has learned the traditional way of measuring surface area and volume. Up the ante by having students learn to calculate those same measurements by adding fish to the equation.
- Language Arts – Fishing Tales
- Are your students longing to go outdoors, but the weather is not cooperating? Have your students take an imaginary adventure through creative writing. With this lesson plan, students can create a story about the one that got away.
- Social Studies – Where Should We Go Fishing
- Teach geography and climate by exploring the best spots to fish and the impact location has on the ecosystem.
- Science – Comparing Plant Growth
- Math and science take on a nice blend when students bring the outdoors indoors and compare growth patterns of different aquatic plants.
After all that hard work, allow your students time to play. Thrill of the Catch and several other great cross-curricular games are available in the Explore section. Great ideas for rainy day activities!
Visit the Explore the Blue “Educate” section and post a comment letting us know your favorite lesson plan and how you’ll integrate it into your class. The first 5 to share, we’ll send an Explore the Blue prize package for your class.
**The award-winning Take Me Fishing™ campaign and Discovery Education launched Explore the Blue, a comprehensive resource empowering K-5 teachers and parents to engage students in a dialogue about the importance of outdoor recreational activities, such as boating and fishing, and the value of clean and healthy natural resources. With a variety of resources for Educators, Families, and Students, Explore the Blue has something for everyone.