DEN Summer Institute 2012

boots

Get your cowboy boots ready! The DEN Summer Institute is heading to the wild wild west. DENSI2012 will take place from July 21-26, 2012 at Montana State University in scenic Bozeman, MT.

Up to 125 STARs will be invited to attend the DEN Summer Institute. Attendees will have the opportunity to connect with fellow STAR Discovery Educators from all over during an exclusive, intensive, week-long networking and professional development event. We encourage all STARs to apply!

The application is now open! “How do I apply?” you ask. It’s EASY! Create a 60 second or less video that explains why you want to attend DENSI2012. Post it somewhere that is not password protected, and send us a link.

Lodging and meals will be covered by the Discovery Educator Network (Read the FAQ document for more details). All travel costs to and from the institute, are the responsibility of the STAR Discovery Educator. Got other questions? Check out the FAQ.

IMPORTANT DATES
TODAY

DEN Summer Institute Announced – Application Open

March 26
Deadline for applications (5 PM ET)

April 6
Applicants notified

April 10
Deadline for accepted applicants to RSVP

April 11
Wait-listed applicants notified

Ready to apply? Read the FAQ document first.

Tags

1. Carol Moffett said:

Ihope these dates fit in my schedule this year. Last two years
    i have not been able to apply beause of conflicts

2. Carol Moffett said:

I hope the dates fit in my calendar this year. The past two years
    i have missed because of conflicts

3. Carol Moffett said:

I hope these dates fit in my schedule. The last two years I had conflicts.

4. Frances (Francie) Snyder said:

I need to start working on my application ASAP. Crossing my fingers and hoping to make to another DEN Summer Institute. I attended the Institute in Boston and I had a wonderful time. I learned a ton and met some wonderful people. Here is hoping that I have a reason to buy a cowboy hat this summer.

5. Pingback: DEN Summer Institute 2012 – DEN Blog Network | TekStart | Scoop.it

6. Allison Bakken said:

I am super excited that it is in Bozeman! I never thought the “Yellowstone” thing was possible. It is beautiful and there is plenty of things to do that are outdoors (of course I am biased).

7. Melissa Robison said:

I have my bedroll, boots and hat. This cowgirl is set. I’m ready to order my plane ticket…just need that official go ahead ;0)
    Thank you Discovery! This sounds like a fantastic opportunity.

8. David Fisher said:

Montana! Very cool! The video planning has begun. I hope to see all of you there!

9. Tracie Belt said:

i learn so much whenever I work with people I meet at the institut! I am beginning to work on my application, I hope I am chosen to attend! it is the best professional development I have ever attended.

10. Joli (Brock) Barker said:

I had such a blast last summer and learned so much and met so many friends that I can’t imagine missing it this year! I am sprucing my application and finishing it up tonight! DENSI 2012 I WANT TO GO!!! :-)

11. Sheila Fredericks said:

Working on ideas for the video…
    Airline fares are steep. Only 3 airlines fly there: Alaska, Delta, & United. Bake sale, car wash, begging on the corner… all seem like viable options!

12. Tracie Belt said:

My application is in and I am on pins and needles. This institue helps keep my teaching and technology cutting edge. The networking is wonderful. If you are lucky enough to be selected you will know the value of attending and spread the word to other teachers.

13. Mark Case said:

I found out today, I have been accepted! $100 promised. At least $500 more to go.

14. Mark Case said:

I found out today, have been accepted! Have a promist of $100. At least $500 more to go.

15. Mark Case said:

I found out today, I have been accepted! I have a promise of $100. At least $500 more to go

16. Mark Case said:

I found out today I have been accepted! I have a promise of $100. Only $500 more to go!

17. Deborah Thonus said:

Just submitted my application! I don’t know how I am going to eat or brush my teeth since I dare not uncross my fingers until I find out if I am chosen. Because of DENSI 2011 and meeting Carol Anne McGuire, my students were able to participate in “Rock Our World,” a fantastic global project! Thanks DEN! My fingers are truly crossed!

18. Deborah Thonus said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, DEN! I just found out I can pack my cowboy boots and hat and head to Montana. Can’t wait to network and collaborate with everyone! I can now uncross my fingers! Woohoo!

19. Pingback: Welcome to the Colorado Blog – DEN Blog Network

20. Julie Jenewein said:

I completed my application and am very excited to hear from DEN! I didn’t get an email confirmation – should I have?

21. Sheila Fredericks said:

I just completed my application! Wish me luck! I’ll be on pins & needles until I hear!

22. Heather Hurley said:

I got in and am really excited. I hope I’m one of the lucky ones to receive airfare or else I’ll be selling baked goods with everyone else :)

23. Pingback: Teacher Technotopia - EdCamp- professional development camps for educators

24. Kati Searcy said:

I heard a view more winners would be announced at Scion – but I haven’t gotten the memo. C’mon ….. I’m dying to know. -)

25. Dawn Gardner said:

Where do I apply to be on the SC leadership council>
    I have looked everywhere!
    Thanks for the help!

26. Beth Burau said:

Just discovered I got in this week! I’m so excited! I can’t wait to learn and share and meet all of you! Thanks Discovery Education and the DENSI team! See y’all in July!

27. Margie Rogers said:

I am doing some research about charter buses from Salt Lake City (closest Southwest hub) to Bozeman. Anyone interested, let me know.

• Deb Thonus said:

I might be interested if the bus ride isn’t too long or costly. The airfares to Bozeman aren’t cheap. Better deals would be found flying to Salt Lake City. Thanks for checking into this.

28. Michele Hurst said:

I am new to Discovery Star and would love to apply to the summer training, but I have never done a video application and am a bit intimidated by it. is there anyone out there who would be willing to give me some tips or ideas on what/how to do this?

29. Pingback: STARs: Tip-Toe Through the DE Techbook – DEN Blog Network

30. Marian Martin said:

I am so nervous. My video was not as exciting as others I have seen but I would love to learn more technology for my classroom. I haven’t noticed them post more winners yet. Are they waiting until the March 2 airfare contest deadline?? Anyone know? Just curious. Hope I get to meet you all:)

• Sheila Fredericks said:

I was wondering the same. Hoping to go with travel paid–it’s so expensive!

31. Liz Charlton said:

I am SO excited! DENSI is the ONLY professional development in which I learn so much. If you get to go, you are very lucky and will learn, collaborate, laugh and grow all in one marvelous week! I just hope I get to go. Gonna drive from Chicago!

32. Catherine Beck said:

Video application is in (1 min. 4 sec–hope that doesn’t disqualify me…). Prepared to load up the car and drive from Denver to Bozeman. Just waiting for the official word from Discovery! :)

33. Michele said:

Thank you so much. I did manage to make my video and submit everything. Congratulations, I recognize you from the chosen list and also saw my name on the same list so I am looking forward to meeting you this summer.

• Michele said:

So how do we know what we will need to bring with us to DEN SI? Will a schdeule of events or whatever be available? I saw that last year it looks like everyone went to Wea World and I have seen or read mention of projects, do we need laptops, ipads or … Will the attendees be provided with suggestions of what they should bring?

• Margie Rogers said:

They will send a list of suggested items to bring. We all bring our favorite techie toys and a few clothes. Leave some empty space in your suitcase, though, because there are always DEN goodies to bring back home (last year we got beach mats, and other cool stuff)!

34. Catherine Beck said:

When are folks arriving? Anyone interested in looking into a shuttle?

• Karen Ogen said:

Last year they gave us a Google spreadsheet to organize travel and airport shuttles. I am sure they will do this again. Looking forward to meeting you!

• Michele said:

I am totally interested in looking into a shuttle or some other form of mass transportation that we can share. I am so excited to meet all of you.

35. Kim Miller said:

Woohoo! I was picked to attend. :) I can’t wait to meet everyone and learn all that DENSI has for us! See you in Montana!

36. Pingback: Desperate for DENSI: DEN & the CITY! – DEN Blog Network

37. Michele Hurst said:

So the official notification is TOMORROW. Does anyone know how notification is being made? Since tomorrow is a holiday in many locations I am wondering if it through e-mail or snail mail. Should I check my school e-mail from home so that I can be sure to respond in time? Obviously I am really excited about this and can’t hardly wait.

• Porter Palmer said:

We’ll be notifying folks via email today.
      Michele, in case you missed it in the weekly update, you were accepted about a month ago. Congratulations!

• Michele said:

Thank you so much. Now it’s official and my acceptance confirmation has been submitted. WooHoo! Can’t hardly wait.

38. Pingback: Why Don’t More Classroom Teachers Facilitate Interactive Writing on Class Blogs? :: iThemes Education Blog