If You Are Interested In Organizational Change, You’ll Be Interested In Richard Beckhard’s Famous Equation C = D x V x F > R
Change = Dissatisfaction X Vision X First Steps > Resistance
C = Change
- What change do you want for your organization or for yourself?
D = Dissatisfaction with Current Situation
- On a scale of 1-10 (Low-High), how dissatisfied are others/you with the current situation.
V = Vision of a Desired/Preferred Situation
- Describe in detail and sketch/diagram the preferred situation – the result you’re wanting to create.
F = First Steps Toward Vision
- What 3 things need to happen immediately to create the preferred situation?
R = Resistance
- What resistance might you anticipate? On a scale of 1-10 (Low-High), how strong might the resistance be?
Richard Beckhard, Organizational Transitions, 2nd ed., Addison-Wesley, 1987