On Saturday, October 20, Stars and DEN members from all over Wisconsin gathered for a Day of Discovery at Neenah High School. What a beautiful fall weekend with the sun and DEN Stars both shining.
The day began with breakfast, conversation and networking, as educators shared how they are using technology and Discovery Education in their classroom.
After breakfast, everyone had a chance to hear from Discovery Representative, Whitney Mihoulides, all about the new and exciting features available with Discovery Education. We had an opportunity to hear how DE was going mobile, social and adding even more functionality to their already amazing product.
Next, participants had a chance to attend a wide variety of break out sessions featuring Wisconsin STARs as well as others around the nation. The following were the sessions that people could attend.
· 50 Ways to Integrate Discovery Education Streaming – Chad Lehman, Discovery Education
· Creative Ways to Use QR Codes in Your Classroom – Rita Mortenson, WI DEN Leadership Council
· iNeed Alternative Assessments – Peg Harwig, WI DEN Leadership Council
· Slide Your Students into a New Way of Demonstrating Their Understanding with Paper Slide Videos, Cindy Lane, DE Professional Development
· Teach Students to Ask Their Won Questions – Dan Rothstein
· Connecting Your Students Through the Common Core – Keith Schroeder, WI DEN Star
· Discovery Education and the iPad: Learning Gone Mobile, Whitney Mihoulides, DE
· Multi-Media Lessons and Mash-Up Student Projects with DE – Julie Lennon and Kayla Schumacher, Neenah Joint Public School District
· The Digital Classroom: It’s Everywhere – Cindy Lane, DE Professional Development
· Weaving the Story of Learning with Digital Storytelling – Chad Lehman, DE and Jon Spike, Neenah Joint Public School District
The day ended with more conversation and some cool prizes! A special thank you to all the presenters and to our host school, Neenah for this amazing day.