Everything I know about rolling out a 1:1 iPad initiative (Part 1)
I’ll expand on each bullet point below in my next posts and share everything I have created.
We’ve worked for over a year to roll out our iPads for staff and students here at the 4/5 Academy at Fifth Avenue in City Schools of Decatur. I am the Media and Instructional Technology Specialist, and my role was to assist with planning, purchasing decisions, and training/implementation. Other district staff members actually did the behind the scenes purchasing and app deployment.
After your project has been approved and funded- here are the planning steps you can begin.
- Start a blog about the process before you do anything else!
- Have a steering committee and a few sub-committees of people with specialized skills and interests.
- Order carts ahead of time .
- Have a “case research team”.
- Have a Training and App Selection team.
- Include parents and/or community experts in the planning process.
- Hold a “Parent Work Day”.
- Have teachers set up their own staff ipads.
- Host a whole day iPad Professional Learning event.
- Reach agreements about what teachers will implement in a six-week time period.
- Plan parent communication about the iPad initiative.
- Have students show parents their ipads.
- Research and choose an LMS.
- Create a handbook and a one-page at-a-glance chart.
- Take a deep breath- it is going to be an exciting ride!
Sandi Dennis, Media and Instructional Technology Specialist at
The 4/5 Academy at Fifth Avenue in City Schools of Decatur, Georgia
DEN Star and DEN Friend and Georgia DEN LC Member