Blog post written by Kelsey Johnson.
April is National Youth Sports Safety Month! I’m sure many of you have young athletes in your classes. While it’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of sports, it’s important to review the safety precautions beforehand. Take time with your students to review the some of these factors that could help to protect them against preventable injuries.
- The importance of protective gear
- Maintaining a healthy diet
- Staying hydrated
- Understanding the rules of the sport
- Warming up, Cooling down, and Stretching
- Maintaining playing fields
- Receiving physical exams before playing
- Being aware of any individual risk factors (hear conditions, asthma, etc)
Check out several of Discovery Education’s sports safety video segments. You can get your kids involved in one of our fitness theme video segments where Slim Goodbody incorporates exercise into a lesson on safety in sports.
Draw your teenager’s attention with students their age discussing precautions in the video segment “Sports Safety.”
Take part in National Youth Sports Safety month and help protect your students against injuries!