DENSI 2013 Daily Recap – Day #4

Hall Davidson delivered today's keynote address (from @neene)

Keynote

Day #4 of DENSI 2013 started with keynote speaker, Hall Davidson (@halldavidson). Hall spoke to us about the new 3 R’s – Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, and QR Codes. Hall started by providing us with some great ideas for student made video projects, using samples from the California Student Media Festival. I think everyone especially loved the BYOD video! One great idea for QR codes that I hadn’t thought of was placing them into library books! The students can activate the code to pull up videos, websites, images, or really anything you would want! I really liked his idea of having the students create trailers for the books and linking with the QR codes. Another topic discussed by Hall was Augmented Reality. I, like a lot of attendees, was in awe! This was pretty much the coolest tool I’ve seen in a long time, and one that isn’t actually hard to implement! You basically just need a trigger and you are all set. We learned about an app called Aurasma which allows you to create your own “auras” on everyday objects using just your tablet or smartphone!
(Keynote Notes) (LiveStream Video)

Barb Grindle explored Augmented Reality during Karen Ogen's session

Sessions

Other Links:

STAR teachers during Max Brooks' session on Board Builder (from @MaxBrooks1)

Unconference Planning

I can’t believe tomorrow is our last day of sessions; I don’t want DENSI to end! I am, however, excited that I’ll be able to take part in another unconference. I really enjoyed the LC unconference last weekend and think that this one will be even better! There were so many great session ideas presented that I don’t know how I’ll choose where to go!  I hope everyone takes great notes so that I don’t really have to miss anything!

Cheering on the Lake Monsters

Vermont Lake Monsters

Discovery Education treated us to another outing tonight, this time to a Vermont Lake Monster’s baseball game. The Lake Monsters played the Aberdeen Ironbirds. Although they didn’t win (final score was 5-1), the DEN stars had a ton of fun anyway! Casey Boothby got to throw out the ceremonial first pitch and  Terra Lee Gratton was chosen to take part in a trivia contest!

Casey Boothby throwing the first pitch of the game (from @MsZ1600)

WDEN

The newest WDEN News Report is available on YouTube.

This is also available on my DEN blog.

Comments

1. Laura Smith

Hey, cool! The Aberdeen Ironbirds are from my hometown!!!