Here are some other fun facts about Lincoln:
- Lincoln was born in a one-room log cabin.
- He owned a general store in New Salem, Illinois.
- Lincoln was a lawyer and sometimes worked as a defense attorney.
- As an attorney, he objected in court so infrequently that on one occasion, when he did object, a judge gave enough weight to Lincoln’s opinion that he reversed his decision.
- Lincoln didn’t move to Illinois (“The Land of Lincoln”) until he was 21.
- Lincoln is the only president to patent an invention, a special flotation device for moving boats in shallow water.
Want to learn more about Honest Abe? Check out our Lincoln resources on Discovery Education Streaming!