Time for another edition of
Chad’s Steve’s Choices for the Community! No, this isn’t a hostile takeover, I just didn’t think it fair that Chad gets to hog all the fun! So this week, I’ve spent countless hours scouring the blogs and Twitterverse and aggregated together some of the most interesting nuggets. From articles to infographics, class sites and folks to follow, this is just one glimpse into the wide world of DEN. Hungry for more? Dont’ forget to scroll back through previous weeks!
Articles from the Community
- Ontario DEN STAR Brian Harrison shared an infographic about how games affect the brain.
- Florida STAR Kristina Spencer shared 6 practical ways to create a culture of accountability.
- Texas STAR Vicki Arrington shared some great reasons to teach digital citizenship.
- Louisiana DEN STAR Susan Gauthier shared 3 great pieces of advice to make math skills stick
Favorite Tweet from the Community (with our congrats!)
I got engaged today to an amazing woman! Looking forward to our future together, to dreams fulfilled & hope renewed. #filledwithjoy
— Jeff Richardson? (@jrichardson30) January 23, 2014
Blogs/Wikis/Class sites from the Community
- Mrs Overton’s Owls highlights the classroom experiences of Stephanie Overton’s students.
- The Lincoln Heights STEM program website, featuring Erica Prentice, does a fantastic job of highlighting STEM initiatives in the district.
People from the Community to Follow
Decided to go with a “Folks you might not know from DE” theme!
- Cindy Moss, DE’s resident STEM Boss
- Lori McFarling, forges heroic partnerships between DE and other organizations.
- Courtney McGee, the Queen of Content.
- Andy Schaefer, works 26 hours a day to find solutions for schools
- Rob Warren, firehose of information on all things DE
Person of Interest
This week’s DEN Person of Interest is Andy Losik, a 20 year educator representing the great state of Michigan. He credits DENSI 2008 as the start of his PLN journey, which may have peaked at DENSI 2013 with the historic “Men of DEN” photoshoot. For the last 14 years, Andy has developed and taught the Infotech program, which combines both tech and literacy skills together. He is a former Michigan Tech Teacher of the Year, an ADE, GCT, Sony Education Ambassador, and a DEN STAR for more than half a decade. He’s excited to be presenting at FETC this year, both with Leslie Fisher and alongside David Fisher (host of the DEN Zone Podcast) sharing ways to use Discovery Education with Android tablets. Be sure to check out Andy’s new professional site, MrLosik.com, where he blogs about edtech and re-inventing professional development.
Interested in being featured in this blog series? Do you have something to share for the good of the DEN? If so, fill out this form.