Here are some other fun facts about snow:
- The record for the largest amount of snow over a 24 hour period (in the US) was 76 inches in Silver Lake, Colorado.
- The NWS defines a blizzard as a severe snowstorm caused by strong sustained winds of at least 35 mph and lasting for a prolonged period of time.
- The record for the greatest snowfall recorded in a one year period was 1224 inches in Mount Rainier, WA, between February 19, 1971 and February 18, 1972.
- Contrary to popular belief, the Inuit people do not actually have 100 individual words for snow.
- The first known snowman was documented in the Book of Hours, in 1380.
Want to learn more about snow and winter weather? Check out our Winter Weather Content Collection on Discovery Education Streaming!