Here are some other interesting facts about Van Gogh:
- Van Gogh was a self taught artist, with very little training.
- He painted about 900 paintings over the course of 10 years.
- Van Gogh is known for cutting off his own ear, but in actuality, he only actually cut off a small part of it.
- He only sold one painting in his lifetime, and it only became famous after he was gone.
- After his death, his sister in law collected all of his paintings and letters, and made it her mission to make sure the world recognized his talent.
- Van Gogh was good friends with Paul Gauguin, who went on to become a famous artist as well.
- He wrote over 800 letters, most of them to his brother Theo, who financially supported Van Gogh.
Want to learn more about Van Gogh and other Impressionist painters? Check out The Impressionist Masters on Discovery Education Streaming!