While writing Fun Fact Friday, I encounter lots of fun facts that are interesting, but don’t necessarily require an entire article. With that in mind, here are some of the random fun facts I’ve collected!
- Goats’ eyes have horizontal and somewhat rectangular pupils.
- In Britain, they call underwear “pants” and they call pants “trousers”.
- Crickets’ ears are on their front legs.
- Benjamin Franklin gave guitar lessons.
- Cats (and many other animals) have extra eyelids that help protect their eyes.
- Putting modern batteries in the refrigerator doesn’t actually make them last longer (but it does for camera film).
- The praying mantis is the only insect that can turn its head.
- The British refer to arithmetic as “maths” rather than “math” (after all, “mathematics” is plural).
Want to learn about more random fun facts? Check out our collection of “fun fact” videos on Discovery Education Streaming!