Welcome to Spotlight on Strategies Challenge! Our S.O.S series provides help, tips, and tricks for integrating DE media into your curriculum.
Babies are able to hear and listen, even before they enter the world. Upon entering the world, their ability to listen is equivalent to that of an adult. This becomes a large part of knowledge acquisition. This concept paired with that of Howard Gardner and his theory of multiple intelligences, gives students a stage in which they can mold information to meet their needs of understanding and in return display their personal connection.
- Provide the students the lyrics to and play the song I Found a Fossil. (CDN Subscribers)
- Allow students to listen to the song 2-3 times.
- You may want to provide pictures for students who need additional visual support.
- Assign different stanzas of the song among the students.
- Explain to students that they will need to illustrate their portion of the lyrics on a sheet of blank white paper.
- As students work, play the song in the background to inspire and motivate!
- Have students stand in a circle around the room in the order that their stanza appears in the song.
- Replay the song and have students hold up their illustration as their stanza is sung.
- Pro Tip: As the song plays, use a recording device to record student slides.
- Select a song that aligns with a current topic of study, download, and create a copies of song lyrics.
- Divide the number of lines in the lyrics according to the number of students in your class.
- Encourage students to think about their assigned lines and create an illustration that portrays their lyrics.
- Have students stand in a circle in the order in which their lyrics appear and hold up their illustrations as their stanza is sung.
You can take the challenge by:
- Implementing this strategy and letting us know how it went by posting a comment below.
- Using this strategies in your grade level planning discussions and/or professional development and reporting your events. (Remember we consider an event anytime 3 or more educators gather together… doesn’t have to be in a computer lab… could be sitting around the lunch table)
- Photocopying the flier and distributing it in your colleague’s boxes and/or posting it to your own BulleDEN board.