Autumnal leaves, pumpkin spiced latte, apple picking….all pale in comparison to everyone’s favorite Fall activity – Fall VirtCon.
While many enjoy participating from the comfort of their own home, hundreds of others will be gathered at Viewing Parties around North America. Whether you’re a seasoned veteran or a first time host, we’ve got all the info you need to organize a spectacular professional development day for you and your colleagues.
Fall VirtCon will be broadcast, once again, from Discovery’s global headquarters in Silver Spring, MD on October 22 from 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM (ET). This year the entire event is focused around collaborative conversations. Our guest educators discuss their experiences and share practical strategies around how they’ve embraced digital resources in the classroom through Discovery Education services and beyond.
The presentations begin at 9:00 AM (ET), which may be a little early for those on the west coast! However, every session is being recorded and will be available immediately following the event. This way, as hosts, you are able to tweak the schedule to your own needs.
Another way that Viewing Party hosts customize their own events is by combining the virtual sessions with conversations, reflections and presentations by the people attending at their event! For example, they may watch one of the keynotes, and then choose to turn the projector off for an hour and share amongst themselves. Afterwards, they can rejoin the broadcast at the point where they stopped, or attend the next live session. The options are endless, and there’s no wrong way to VirtCon.
Here are a few tips to get started hosting an epic VirtCon Viewing Party
During Fall VirtCon
- Make it festive – streamers are optional, but people do love the personal touch. Have pens and notebooks available for jotting down ideas, or perhaps sticky notes so people can add them to sharing wall.
- Feed your guests (bodies AND minds. Everybody needs a little nibble while they learn, so have a plan for feeding your guests. You can ask them to bring their own, bring something to share with the group, or provide a spread for them. It’s your event, there’s no wrong way to do it.
- Tweak the agenda to suit your needs. We know not everybody is in the same time zone. Boston’s lunchtime presentation might be the opening session for a party in Los Angeles. Every session will be archived in real time and made available immediately, so feel free to re-arrange the order for your attendees.
- Join the conversation at #FallVirtCon. Share with the people in the room and online. We’ll be sharing our favorite tweets live during the broadcast, so if you post a pic, you just might see it on the screen!
After Fall VirtCon
- Take a well deserved evening off! Cash in that coupon for a free foot massage and bask in the glory of having created a phenomenal learning experience for your attendees.
- Share out the archives. Every session is being recorded and saved, share it out with any colleagues who weren’t able to attend.
- Send us a picture of your event. We love to see the learning in action. Share your pics with the hashtag #FallVirtCon and we’ll find them.
We’re looking forward to another incredible virtual conference and we hope you are too.