Behind-the-Scenes at Discovery

Hope you’re enjoying the posts by the Episcopal High School students working with us this spring. Here is the first post by Andrea Hickman….

Byline: Andrea Hickman

Hey everyone, I’d like to open by saying that this is the first post of a series I’d like to call Behind the Scenes at Discovery. In this sequence of posts, I’ll be showing you some of the most interesting artifacts located throughout the Discovery Communications building in Silver Spring, MD.

Here we have Discovery Rex, who stands in the lobby and, despite the realistic looking picture, is not a real fossil.

(photo courtesy of Marie Thomas)

Discovery Rex is actually a mold of the real fossil named Stan, who was discovered in South Dakota in 1987 by paleontologist Stan Sacrison. The excavation of the bones wasn’t started until 1992, but shortly following its excavation, the skeleton was finally named Stan for its explorer. After much investigation and careful observation, scientists discovered clues through the bones that told them more information about Stan’s life and surroundings, from what he ate to his injuries.

To this day, Stan remains the most complete T. Rex skeleton available to science, as he is composed of 65% bone. Currently, Stan’s home is the museum at the Black Hills Institute of Geological Research located in Hill City, South Dakota.

Check out these 5-minute video segments and the Black Hills Institute, if you’re interested in learning more about dinosaurs, and feel free to look up any information that interests you in your Discovery Education account!

Curiosity: Mankind Rising, Surviving the Dinosaurs
Animal Encyclopedia: Living Dinosaurs, Birds

Black Hills Institute of Geological Research

7 comments… add one

• Kacper May 29, 2013, 6:33 pm

Cool

Reply
  • Lance May 30, 2013, 1:56 am

Great post! I have walked by Discovery Rex 100 times and never knew the story. I love the student voices on the blog. Thanks for sharing.

Reply
  • Porter Palmer May 30, 2013, 2:13 am

Hi Andrea, Welcome to the Discovery family. Thanks for the great lesson on Rex and Stan. Although I have worked for Discovery more than seven years, I did not know this behind the scenes information.

Reply
  • Mike Bryant May 30, 2013, 2:16 am

I’ve walked past “Stan” aka “Discovery Rex” hundreds of times, even given tours and never knew that. Thanks for sharing. I have a whole new respect for “Discovery Rex”/”Stan”.

Reply
  • Jannita May 30, 2013, 2:40 am

I love Discovery Rex! Just saw a preview at the movies yesterday that the movie “Walking with the Dinosaurs” is coming out! Can’t wait to learn more about what’s behind the scenes at Discovery!

Reply
  • Chad Lehman May 30, 2013, 2:45 am

I love walking into the lobby at Discovery. I can’t wait to read what else you share in your Behind the Scenes posts.

Reply
  • ALICIA May 30, 2013, 2:41 pm

so scary huh?

Reply