Chance to Win a Free Poster for Your Class

This weekend, thousands of readers and authors met on the National Mall for the annual National Book Festival. Under huge white tents, in a rainstorm and under sunny skies, authors gave readings and answered questions and readers had a chance to see and hear from their favorites.

I attended an amazing, INTERACTIVE reading by author Grace Lin, who writes children’s books based on Chinese folk tales and fables. She proved how fun it is to get kids involved in the storytelling. In the pictures below, you can see the volunteers from the audience playing the roles of the six suns and the character, Wang-Yi, from her book, Starry River of the Sky. (Teachers can find a lesson plan for this interactive reading at Grace Lin’s website.)

Other cool authors who were at the National Book Festival include Joyce Carol Oates — she’s written over 70 books! — Jamaica Kincaid, Katherine Patterson, James McBride, and Khaled Hosseini. Find out if your favorite author has a blog or is on a book tour and will be visiting your town!

Answer this question in the COMMENTS section: Who is your favorite author and why? The first five commenters that submit a complete answer to the question will receive a National Book Festival Poster for their classrooms!

41 comments… add one

• Moriah September 23, 2013, 7:30 pm

I don’t really have a favorite author – I’ve read too many books and can’t decide! One of my favorites is Rick Riordan. I really enjoy reading his Percy Jackson books because they are full of Greek mythology, action, excitement, and some humor at times. He really captures his readers and draws them into the plot until you just can’t stop reading.

• Alyssa September 25, 2013, 2:04 pm

my favorite author is suzzane collins. I love the hunger games its so thrilling.

• Lauren September 26, 2013, 3:43 pm

My favorite author would be Rick Riordan because once u start reading his books u can’t put it down until u finish!!!

• Jeanette Edelstein September 23, 2013, 8:26 pm

Great choice, Moriah! Enjoy your poster.

• laureleiy September 23, 2013, 10:18 pm

cool

• laureleiy September 23, 2013, 10:20 pm

love those books

• laureleiy September 23, 2013, 10:21 pm

good choice

• Jaysie September 23, 2013, 11:06 pm

I do not have a favorite author. I like a variety of genres of books. But one of my favorite authors is Suzanne Collins. I love The Hunger Games trilogy. I love the action and the suspense and motivation. They pull you in, get you excited, and mad at times. Can not stop reading!

• Jeanette September 24, 2013, 3:26 pm

Hi Jaysie. Another great choice. Wonder what you think of the book vs. the movie. Congratulations on winning one of our posters!

• Jaysie September 26, 2013, 4:25 pm

How do I get the poster exactly?

• Nima September 23, 2013, 11:40 pm

I love reading, and this is a great time to show my knowledge. I am in love with the Harry Potter series and the author of the book, J,K Rowling. I also like the Hunger games series because of the intense action. The author Suzanne Collins is quite amazing she is my favorite of the two authors I love. They both have made so many awesome books and i love them all

• Jeanette September 24, 2013, 3:27 pm

Hi Nima! You’re lucky that your favorites write in series, so you always get to read a bunch of great stories in a row. Congratulations on winning one of our posters!

• Samuel September 24, 2013, 12:39 am

My favorite author will always be Dr. Seuss because I love rhyming books and they are really fun to read. I learned how to read by reading them and my favorite is Green Eggs and Ham because my name is Sam like Sam I am.

• Jeanette September 24, 2013, 3:31 pm

Hi Sam! The nonsense, the word play, the absolute best. Dr. Seuss is above all the rest. I urge you to put your skills to the test. Create a particularly pesky old pest. Put him in charge of a grastorkolish nest. See what happens when he welcomes a guest. Seuss makes writing a beautiful mess. I hope you have some fun with your own writing, Sam. Congratulations on your poster!

• Kittie September 24, 2013, 1:05 am

I would have to say that my favorite author would have to be Veronica Roth. This author wrote the divergent series. I really like this book series because it is set in a dystopian setting and its full of action and keeps you on the edge of your seat asking yourself what will happen next. The plot will really eep you attached to the book and really wants you to keep reading on the find out what will happen? what will he/she do?

• Jeanette September 24, 2013, 3:32 pm

Hi Kittie! Thanks for you post and for knowing and using the word dystopian! Congratulations on winning our last available poster!

• dustin September 24, 2013, 1:38 am

I think that\s a nice poster to.

• Alanna September 24, 2013, 12:33 pm

John green. I love his writing and word choice. He always writes the best story plots. He always makes me want to read more of his books.

• Sammy September 24, 2013, 12:35 pm

John Green is my favorite author. He’s my favorite because he portrays teenagers as they are and he actually gets how high school happens and how unnormal life is. Every single one of his books are fantastic, and they’re never not interesting. He knows kids, and I think it’s really cool that he adds his real life experiences into his tellings.

• Abbigale September 24, 2013, 12:37 pm

My favorite author is Dan Brown. I am currently reading his book, \The Da Vinci Code\ and it is excellent! He must have done a lot of research to write such and excellent book. He is very detailed and is an all-around FANTASTIC writer. I DEFINITELY recommend reading his books!!!

• Jeremiah & Nicole September 24, 2013, 1:46 pm

My favorite author is Andrew Jacobson who helped write The Familiars with Adam Jay Epstein. The Familiars is a awesome action book all about animals. A

• Adam September 24, 2013, 2:34 pm

My favorite author is Scott Westerfeld. He has written 3 good books about WWI and I really enjoyed them

• Jeanette September 24, 2013, 3:34 pm

Our five posters have been claimed! Keep posting about your favorite authors, though: it’s a great way for our community to pick up tips about great writers and interesting books! Thanks to all of you who already posted!

• William September 24, 2013, 3:40 pm

My favorite author is Steven King. Even in his first novel, Carrie, he was so… Descriptive. He took passages of non-existing books to relate to the book. It was amazing.
    -William

• Jeanette Edelstein September 24, 2013, 9:42 pm

William! Steven King is great. Did you know that his newest novel was released TODAY?! It’s called _Doctor_Sleep_ and is a sequel to _The_Shining_. You probably know about it. I heard King interviewed on the radio this morning and he and the book sound great, as always!

• Daniella September 25, 2013, 1:45 am

My favorite author is Ellen Raskin because she is the author of my favorite book, The Westing Game. I enjoy reading her novels because the create a constant mystery throughout the book.

• Audrey September 25, 2013, 12:28 pm

I love to read….

• Samuel September 25, 2013, 1:01 pm

My favorite author is Dav Pilkey because he is funny.

• Brent September 25, 2013, 6:01 pm

My favorite author would be Steven King with a few other people :-D

• Bella September 25, 2013, 9:45 pm

That is so coo!!!!!!!!! Good choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):)

• gage September 26, 2013, 3:58 pm

my favorite and always will be favorite is Charles Dickens. he did good on the Christmas carol

• ethan September 26, 2013, 11:03 pm

My favorite author is Rick Riordan. I love thrilling adventure books.

• Lucy September 27, 2013, 2:07 am

OMG!!!!!! I LOOVE THE HUNGER GAMES

• Lucy September 27, 2013, 2:08 am

;)

• Lucy September 27, 2013, 2:09 am

MY favorite author is probably WENDY MASS or SUZZANE COLLINS :) :) :) :) :) :)

• noora September 30, 2013, 7:15 pm

My fav author is judy blume

• Aly September 30, 2013, 7:36 pm

My favorite author is Ally Condie because she writes my favorite book trilogy matched and the book is so thrilling and a great book for kids!!

• Keaton October 1, 2013, 8:18 pm

I like the author Rick Roirdan because he writes really good adventure books.

• Keaton October 1, 2013, 8:20 pm

best author R.R

• Tim October 4, 2013, 10:25 pm

This is very inspireational for us

• lillian October 16, 2013, 5:26 pm