Snow at Discovery Headquarters

Hi Everyone! You’ve probably heard that the snowstorms that swept across the country this past week finally made it to the DC area. We got amazing packing snow at Discovery headquarters, so I decided to build a Discovery globe and a snowman for you.

Discovery "Snow Globe" with Food Coloring

Have you ever used food coloring to color the snow for building something? I had the brainstorm this morning, and I can’t believe how well it worked. Maybe everyone does this and I just never knew. My globe isn’t perfect, but the snow changed color easily and instantly. Try it next time you build something in the snow!

Here’s a picture of the snowman. It’s my first snowman of the year, so I forgot some things (arms)! And, I didn’t have a small enough scarf, so I’ll have to either knit a small-snowman-sized scarf or build a bigger snowman next time!

First Snowman of the Season

I think each time it snows, I’ll build another one for you, readers. If there’s something you’d really like to see, let me know in the Comments.

118 comments… add one

• gaby December 11, 2013, 12:08 am

OMG THAT WAS THE CUTEST THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WILL HAVE TI TRY IT SOME TIME ;)

• Brissa December 20, 2013, 3:49 pm

I already tried it, its fun to make

• Carolyne December 11, 2013, 12:32 am

Hay Jeanette…Hehehehehe…first one to comment!
    Love your globe and snowman…what’s it’s name?
    Happy first snow…here where I live…NorthCarolina…We had a flurry a month ago and it didnt stick and that is all :(
    I love the cold!
    Hmmm….what could you make…well once I built a snow fort/igloo…It was EPIC!!!!
    Santa? A reindeer? A christmas tree? I don’t know…Jeanette your creative so surprise me.
    Jeanette you are awesome and I know you probably invest a lot of your time…even outside of work to comment and read our comments…so thank you. You are very encouraging and make me…

SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

• Jeanette December 11, 2013, 12:47 am

Thanks, Carolyne. YOU are encouraging ME! You can name the snowman, if you want. Also, I was thinking about students who live where it doesn’t snow — maybe you could make a sand castle… or a… mud pie? (If I get over 100 comments on this post, I’m going to do something really elaborate next time it snows.)

• Carolyne December 11, 2013, 2:24 am

Hmmm…well the snowman looks like a guy. And actually he looks like a Nelson…and it could be to honor Nelson Mandela.
        Oh, A mud pie would work…lets see if my mom would agree. I actually love doing things I did when I was little. I hope I don’t fully grow up because I think that everyone should be young at heart…and you, Jeanette are DEFINITELY young at heart. Love commenting and hearing back from you. You are the reason I visit Discovery Education a lot!
        Oooo…Everyone…post comments sooooo Jeanette will make something really cool!

So Jeanette…If I make a mud pie could I take a picture of it and post it in a comment or am I not allowed to do that?…I wouldnt be in the picture though.

We just put our christmas decor up and right now we are playing christmas music… tis the season!!!!!

• Jeanette December 11, 2013, 10:07 pm

Hmm… you can’t post pictures in the Comments section. I have an idea, though! How about you build a board in Board Builder featuring your mud pie/sculpture? Then you can post the link in the comments section and everyone will be able to see it. (Of course, you’ll need your teacher to approve and share the board.) What do you think of that?

• Carolyne December 11, 2013, 11:41 pm

Good idea! I’ll have to work on it! Hopefully it will be a snow something…Brrr…it’s cold here in North Carolina!!!!!!!

• Tucker December 18, 2013, 2:06 pm

you should make a snow fort then have a snowball fight with the house of representatives on yall’s free time. that would be cool!!!!!!!!!!

• Nima December 12, 2013, 10:13 pm

I know it… but we did have snow for like 5 min :) That was good…… I have my fingers crossed for more snow.

• Carolyne December 13, 2013, 3:10 am

Nima, do you live in North Carolina? That’s cool if you do. I’m crossing my fingers too and wearin’ my pj’s backwards. :) Hope it will snow…Maybe we’ll have a white christmas…

It should be snowing…I mean it’ cold enough to!!!!!!

• Carolyne December 11, 2013, 12:33 am

oh…your handsome snowman is sportin’ the celery nose…love it!

• Jeanette December 11, 2013, 12:45 am

So funny, Carolyne… I didn’t have a carrot in the house, so I substituted celery! Thanks for your nice comments!

• Carolyne December 11, 2013, 2:26 am

Well the celery works just fine! Your welcome for the nice comments but thank you for your nice comments!
        I’m sooooo glad my teacher told me about Discovery education!

• Carolyne December 11, 2013, 12:35 am

food coloring…hmmm creative never heard of it but…If we get any actually legit snow…I’ll try it.

• Carolyne December 11, 2013, 12:37 am

sorry I have so many comments…I thought about everything after I already summit it…
    ooooops. : l

• Annika December 11, 2013, 2:11 am

That’s so cool. Did you make it by yourself?(your snowman)

• Jeanette December 11, 2013, 3:57 pm

Hi Annika. Thanks! I did make it by myself — it’s actually pretty small and only took me a few minutes. Seriously, it was the best packing snow I’ve ever seen.

• Annika December 11, 2013, 2:13 am

By the way that question is for Jeanette.

• Annika December 11, 2013, 2:54 am

hey Jeanette! Did you use almonds or walnuts for the buttons, Or what? I think its nice that you dedicate your time to writing blogs. That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO awesome and so are you!
    P.S. the last few questions were not answered by you. Do you mind if I take up your time asking questions?

• Jeanette December 11, 2013, 4:00 pm

Hi again, Annika. I used almonds! (Great attention to detail.) I was like, “Oh, I’m going to build a snowman for the blog… now what do I have around the house for eyes, buttons, etc.? So, raisins for eyes, almonds for buttons, and CELERY for the nose. (Putting carrots on my shopping list.) Feel free to keep commenting and asking questions — that’s what we’re here for. You should also feel free to ask and answer with other commenters.

• Annika December 12, 2013, 1:41 am

okay. I just feel more comfortable asking you because you made the blogs. Which by the way are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! also I think the next time it snows you should remember to have carrots. (to make a snow man with a carrot nose) I have another question. How did you make the colorful snowball. I didn’t really get it. You just put food coloring in it?

• Jeanette December 12, 2013, 11:07 pm

Yep — I just squeezed some food coloring into a big bowl full of snow and mixed it up with a big spoon. It’ll stain your skin, so if you don’t want that, wear gloves that you don’t mind staining. (I used some black snowboard gloves.) Have fun!

• Stasia December 11, 2013, 2:41 pm

I LIKE YOUR SNOWMAN

• Stasia December 11, 2013, 2:44 pm

Jeanette I REALLY LIKE YOUR SNOWMAN Alot

• Stasia December 11, 2013, 2:46 pm

I LIKE your name jeanette it is an awesome name

• Jeanette December 11, 2013, 4:01 pm

Thanks Stasia! Nice of you to comment. Wait ’til you see my next snow creation!

• caelan December 11, 2013, 4:52 pm

I was wondering, how come we can not build a snowman in Farmington, AR

• Jeanette December 16, 2013, 7:41 pm

Hi Caelan. Is this a riddle? I bet snow in AR is rare!

• CC December 11, 2013, 4:52 pm

Could you make a snowman watching tv that could be nice wouldn’t it (dont comment on me)

• Isbonic December 11, 2013, 5:17 pm

that is awesome wish we had some snow

• Austin December 11, 2013, 5:36 pm

That is SOOOO Smart I wish I got snow where I live

• Carolyne December 11, 2013, 9:06 pm

Jeanette, are we allowed to post pictures…like not of ourselves but like if I made a snowman could I take a picture solely of the snowman and post it?

Sorry…do I comment too much?

• Jeanette December 11, 2013, 10:08 pm

Hi Carolyne. See my comment above — you can’t post pictures, but you can make boards! (No, you don’t comment too much.)

• Daniel December 11, 2013, 10:11 pm

That is so cool.I will defiantly try it.[iif we have snow this year]

• Ethan December 11, 2013, 10:12 pm

OMG that is one of the best snowmen i have ever seen!

• nathally December 11, 2013, 10:39 pm

Hey that’s cool! But I have a question that’s not real snow right Sarah?
    It looks very fake right? Also it didn’t snow here .

• Jeanette December 11, 2013, 10:44 pm

Hi Nathally. That is real snow. I mixed in food coloring to make it blue and green.

• zach December 11, 2013, 11:11 pm

that is really cool and if you try to color a snow man you know want to do

• The Ohio One December 11, 2013, 11:32 pm

Hi guy! i’m in Ohio and i got some snow but I haven’t had the time to build any thing. Also Jeanette I really like your snowglobe and snowman!!!!

• Jeanette December 16, 2013, 7:42 pm

Thanks for the compliment “The Ohio One”!

• The Ohio One December 11, 2013, 11:34 pm

I meant “Hi guys”

• Gracie December 12, 2013, 1:12 am

The Snowman is such a cutie
    Here in WI
    We build a lot of them and none of them are cute like that :)
    I should really try the food coloring idea
    Do you run Discovery Education ?

• Jeanette December 12, 2013, 11:10 pm

Hi Gracie… I can’t wait to see a Wisconsin snowman — I bet they ARE cute. Good question: I don’t run Discovery Education, we have a whole team doing different things. I’m the lucky one that gets to be the student blog editor, though!

• Ellie December 12, 2013, 2:26 am

That is so cute! I want to make one this year!

• Ellie December 12, 2013, 2:28 am

I hope it snows this year so I can make a cute snowman!

• jhon December 12, 2013, 3:06 am

Does anyone here speak Spanish

• Sam December 12, 2013, 5:41 pm

I live in Florida there is no snow :(

• Jeanette December 16, 2013, 7:43 pm

Sam — how about a sandcastle?!

• Sam December 12, 2013, 5:42 pm

Cool though. :)

• kayshaun December 12, 2013, 6:06 pm

that is cool I wish I could do that is that fun

• Ivan December 12, 2013, 8:23 pm

awesome!!!!!!!

• dreama December 12, 2013, 8:28 pm

That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cool!!!!!!
    but sadly i’m in florida so no snow for me :(
    how big was your snowman??????

• Jeanette December 12, 2013, 11:13 pm

Hi Dreama. My snowman was actually pretty small: bottom snowball was about the size of a soccer ball, middle snowball about the size of a cantaloupe, and the top snowball about the size of a grapefruit. :-)

• Sanai December 12, 2013, 8:56 pm

That was very creative.Here in North Carilina,it snows but barley enough to cover our grass.Then right when you get exited about it all and you start thinking OHHH I WANT TO GO PLAY IN THE SNOW!!!!!,the sun comes out and melts it all in the next hour.Just when you start having fun it all just dissapers in your hand.but the next time the sun does not come out,I will make sure i have my food coloring out and ready,also my ideas for what i want to make.Because i have no time to waste before that sun comes out!!!!! :)

• Jeanette December 12, 2013, 11:14 pm

Awesome: a snowman-making plan! Can’t wait until you have enough snow.

• Natalie December 12, 2013, 11:52 pm

wow… last time it snowed (last year), my cousin came to visit and it snowed LUCKY HIM.

And BTW my cousin’s name is jannete ( not the one that came)

I really like that u spend your time answering our comments :)

• Jeanette December 16, 2013, 7:44 pm

Thanks, Natalie. Say “hi” to both of your cousins for me. I really like that YOU spend YOUR time reading and commenting!

• neach December 12, 2013, 11:55 pm

that so man is so adords i love it

• Henry December 13, 2013, 12:48 am

You should build a fort next time!

• Carolyne December 13, 2013, 9:21 pm

That would be really cool!

• Jeanette December 16, 2013, 7:46 pm

Hmm… a fort with a snowman taking a break inside of it and watching TV… maybe….

• james December 13, 2013, 1:28 am

hi guys its me james i really like that idea but i dont get enough snow in concord but next time we do get snow i will try it. thanks for the idea. by the way do any of you have a xbox360.

• Edward December 13, 2013, 2:17 am

My one question is that if you used food coloring, how did the snowman not melt?

• Jeanette December 16, 2013, 7:48 pm

Great question, Edward. It was an experiment, so I had the same thought: “Will this make the snow melt?” For whatever reason (maybe you can work this out in science class), the snow didn’t melt from the food coloring. It only took a few drops for every bucket of snow. I will say that by the end of the day, the food coloring had kind of drained to the bottom of the snowballs. Worth more experimenting!

• Carolyne December 13, 2013, 3:12 am

I know right!!!! Crossing my fingers!!!!!!

• Nano December 13, 2013, 2:24 pm

If the food coloring was just a little bit warmer than the snow, than i think that it wouldn’t melt.
      It would probably just freeze into the snowman.

• Natalie December 13, 2013, 1:43 pm

Wow, Jeanette!! Your snowman is SO adorable, even without arms or a mouth! And your Discovery Education Globe is really cool. I’ve never used food coloring to dye the snow, but I’ll definitely have to try it sometime this winter, especially since now I know the results are great! :)

• Natalie December 13, 2013, 1:46 pm

I sure hope it snows sometime soon! And this time, I need the snow to pack! It was way too fluffy last time… ;)

• Nano December 13, 2013, 2:21 pm

Cool pictures. Can’t wait to try that at my house!

• Amelia December 13, 2013, 6:54 pm

I think the globe idea is SO smart!

• ninja December 13, 2013, 8:01 pm

omg that snow globe is awesome

• Carolyne December 13, 2013, 9:29 pm

Jeanette…did the food coloring dye the snow around it too, or did you only put enough just to dye the snow. How much food coloring did you need?
    I heard that if you put bubble in the fridge, and when they are old enough…take them out and blow them and if it’s like under 25 degrees they will freeze…I haven’t tried it because it hasn’t been cold enough yet.

• Jeanette December 16, 2013, 7:50 pm

I dyed the snow inside of a plastic bucket, so it didn’t dye the snow around it, but it definitely would have! I used a few drops per bucket and then mixed it with a huge spoon and my gloved hands. (Don’t use gloves that you don’t want stained!) That’s a cool idea with the bubbles… I’ll have to try that one.

• Daniel December 15, 2013, 12:59 pm

that is so cool!!

• Julz December 15, 2013, 10:05 pm

#SWAG
    Awesomeness

• Zoe December 15, 2013, 10:09 pm

Hi Jeanette. I love your blog. I used to blog too.That idea of yours was really creative! I hope I can use it sometime, but where I live it has only snowed twice in a century! :-( Hope snow comes this year though. Thanks again!

• Jeanette December 16, 2013, 7:51 pm

Thanks for the nice compliment, Zoe. I’ll keep my fingers for a 50-year snow for you soon!

• Augustus December 16, 2013, 3:29 pm

That is so AWESOME!!!!!

• LL December 16, 2013, 3:36 pm

how adorbs

• Jeanette December 16, 2013, 7:52 pm

LL: “adorbs” is adorbs.

• lADYBUG December 16, 2013, 7:01 pm

wow what inspired you to do that

• Jeanette December 16, 2013, 7:55 pm

Hi lADYBUG: Hmm… inspiration…?? I suppose I found inspiration in the moment I was listening to information about school closures and heard a newscaster say, “this is REALLY GREAT packing snow.” I thought, “Well, I guess I’d better build something.” Then I thought it would be cool to build something specifically for the readers of this blog and the idea of a Discovery Globe (like the one in our logo) would be cool… but it would just look like a snowball without color… and then the idea of using food coloring to make it blue and green hit me.

• Aniston December 16, 2013, 7:21 pm

Hi Jeanette. I love how you did the snowman. Wish it would snow in Louisiana. Anyway, you’re very creative.

• Jeanette December 16, 2013, 7:56 pm

Thanks, Aniston. Maybe you can make a different kind of sculpture.

• Joseph December 16, 2013, 9:03 pm

Hello Jeanette my name is Joseph. I’m 17 yrs. old and I’m a Art student here in Arizona. This will be my third year in art and I’m glad to see so many people in this world are creative in their own ways. If you were to make something for me it would be a a boot. I like Dr. Marten boots, they’re really cool. Hope to see or know you made my idea come to life, thank you for your time and have a great winter in that white paradise!

• Jeanette December 16, 2013, 10:22 pm

Hi Joseph. Okay, so here’s what I’m aiming for, so far, after the next good snowfall: a fort featuring a snowman watching TV and wearing a pair of Dr. Martens. I’m going to need the neighbor kids’ help.

• Lillian December 18, 2013, 12:27 am

I honestly would love to try that! But where I live the is only a few inches of snow. Do I need a lot of snow?

• Lillian December 18, 2013, 12:26 am

That’s so cool!!! I may try that for myself even though I may never get that much show where I am!!! Sweet!!! :D

• Sarah December 18, 2013, 3:55 am

Awsome!

• Sarah December 18, 2013, 3:58 am

IT IS SO REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• tyler December 18, 2013, 2:42 pm

its awesome.. but needs more fun games and more teen related stuff… like about more games and stuff…

• Owen December 18, 2013, 2:44 pm

Jeanette, I think that this discovery was a great finding. Thank-You for sharing this to the Discovery Education blog. Keep up the good work! And I’d love to see more of your blogging in the near future.

• Owen December 18, 2013, 2:48 pm

I really hope I’ll be able to use this idea, but unfortunately it rarely snows more than an inch in the location which I live in. Again, Thank-You for sharing!

• Sam December 18, 2013, 7:02 pm

:-)

• SC December 18, 2013, 7:03 pm

it never snows here LUCKY!!!!!!!!11

• Abbye December 18, 2013, 9:48 pm

Oh my gosh! You are so lucky that you had your snow to stick. Nice snowman, though!

• matthew December 18, 2013, 9:59 pm

I love snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• briana December 20, 2013, 8:56 pm

that is very cool!!!!!!!!!

• matthew December 18, 2013, 10:04 pm

I love building snowmen

• Alexis December 19, 2013, 4:18 pm

Good idea!

• Taylor December 20, 2013, 3:58 pm

snow is my favorite

• Asia December 20, 2013, 5:10 pm

How about a lady snowman,like with yarn hair or something?

• M December 21, 2013, 2:49 am

Great Idea but i wish snow was gone and summer is here now no school and hello ice cream

• LB January 3, 2014, 2:11 pm

good idea kid LOVE IT;)

• H January 3, 2014, 10:17 pm

hello i like your snowman a lot thanks!

• H January 3, 2014, 10:35 pm

we just had a snow storm! YAY!!!!

• Timothy January 9, 2014, 7:11 pm

Me to

• Tyler January 9, 2014, 7:12 pm

Wat up in charleston no snow but cold oooooohhhhhh that’s cold

• Timothy January 9, 2014, 7:18 pm

The weather is very cool

• Andrew January 10, 2014, 7:39 pm

that thing with the food coloring looks cool (;

• austin January 10, 2014, 8:42 pm

hey guys im a new person on hear please reply and show me how to change my themes

• PDP January 10, 2014, 8:55 pm

omg i will have to try that when i get some more snow down here in tennessee!!! :D

• Hailey January 13, 2014, 5:17 pm

Awesome Idea for the snow dye I love it

• Renee January 14, 2014, 1:05 am

Cool picture but what is the point?

• Abbye January 14, 2014, 10:58 pm

I live in Memphis so I never get any snow. :(

• Elijah January 15, 2014, 10:25 pm

cool

• brennna February 3, 2014, 8:53 pm

i love building snowmen :) though i don’t like snow that much