Day #4 of DENSI 2013 started with keynote speaker, Hall Davidson (@halldavidson). Hall spoke to us about the new 3 R’s – Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, and QR Codes. Hall started by providing us with some great ideas for student made video projects, using samples from the California Student Media Festival. I think everyone especially loved the BYOD video! One great idea for QR codes that I hadn’t thought of was placing them into library books! The students can activate the code to pull up videos, websites, images, or really anything you would want! I really liked his idea of having the students create trailers for the books and linking with the QR codes. Another topic discussed by Hall was Augmented Reality. I, like a lot of attendees, was in awe! This was pretty much the coolest tool I’ve seen in a long time, and one that isn’t actually hard to implement! You basically just need a trigger and you are all set. We learned about an app called Aurasma which allows you to create your own “auras” on everyday objects using just your tablet or smartphone!
(Keynote Notes) (LiveStream Video)
- 5 Minutes of Creativity – Dean Shareski
- 50 Ways Quick Fire with Discovery Education – Joe Diaz
- Bloomin’ with Discovery Education Board Builder – Max Brooks
- Close and Critical Reading the DE Way – Taryn Hailstock & Joann Iras
- DEN Rocks –
- Discover Augmented Reality – Karen Ogen
- Discovery Education for Students – Janette Edelstein & Kyle Schutt
- Get Your Google Certification Going – Cheryl Lykowski
- Edmodo Google Certification Support – Group Code- 29j67g
- How to Assess Those Really Cool Digital Projects Your Kids Create – Andrew Poggio & Lance Rougeux
- Learning to Speak Android – David Fisher
- Let Them Be Heard – Lea Anne Daughrity
- Oh, The Places You’ll Go (for free PD) – Chad Lehman
- Putting the ‘E’ in STEM Using Virtual Labs and Board Builder – Michael Bryant
- Ready, Set, Create! – Tracy Carpenter & Zulma Whiteford
- Somersaulting the Classroom: For Those Afraid to Do a Total Flip – Tim Childers
- SOS Spotlight on Strategies – Jannita Demian
- Storytelling for the YouTube Generation – Steve Dembo
- There and Back Again: A Social Studies Techbook Tale – Machael Bryant
- Tra-Digital Storytelling – Conni Mulligan
I can’t believe tomorrow is our last day of sessions; I don’t want DENSI t0 end! I am, however, excited that I’ll be able to take part in another unconference. I really enjoyed the LC unconference last weekend and think that this one will be even better! There were so many great session ideas presented that I don’t know how I’ll choose where to go! I hope everyone takes great notes so that I don’t really have to miss anything!
Vermont Lake Monsters
Discovery Education treated us to another outing tonight, this time to a Vermont Lake Monster’s baseball game. The Lake Monsters played the Aberdeen Ironbirds. Although they didn’t win (final score was 5-1), the DEN stars had a ton of fun anyway! Casey Boothby got to throw out the ceremonial first pitch and Terra Lee Gratton was chosen to take part in a trivia contest!
The newest WDEN News Report is available on YouTube.