DEN Summer Institute 2013 – Unimaginable, Indescribable, Unforgettable
There is a line in a movie about defining who the cast is and they discover that each of them is A Brain, An Athlete, A Basket Case, A Princess, and A Criminal. But together they will always be The Breakfast Club. It’s funny. Discovery Education sort of reminds me of that. Individually we have our strengths and our flaws. Together we are powerful and wonderful. Look at what was accomplished on Sunday (the packing of 200 meals for those in need in roughly 20 minutes). We each have our own personalities but together we make one incredible group. There is nothing like #DENSI. I am grateful to have attended a few of such gatherings. Each one different. Each one memorable. Each one fantastic. But there was something about this year that made it just magical. Maybe it was the sense of anger and hurt and frustration that so many teachers have experienced this year. Taking a few days to feel valued, appreciated, energized, laugh, sing, learn, lean, and bond. Thank you DEN Team for putting together such a wonderful week. People talk about the small change that one person can make. Let’s think about the large change that Discovery Education can make in the world of education. 150 educators gathered. They were inspired. They experienced “Joy”. They will bring that experience back to their mini-worlds and share that Joy and Experience. How many students and staff members will be on the receiving end of the wonders that were our individual experiences at DENSI2013. The ripple affect will be great. I can’t wait to read the Twitters, blogs, and see the photos that will be generated during this the 2013-2014 school year because of DENSI2013. Thank you!
Now for my recap brief recap of the week. Without being a fly on the wall there is no way to allow you into the fabulousity that is DENSI. But hopefully some of these notes will help others to gain a new perspective or a little more insight into how their classrooms can be enriched. Some notes are longer. Some notes are shorter. Some topics I was familiar with. Others were new to me. The cool thing is you come away with at least something from each session created by these caring educators. Thank you all for sharing.
DENSI2013 – Day 1, Friday
- Beautiful drive
- Lunch with Katie Searcy, Katie Warren, Paula Naugle, Margie Rogers, Carolyn Rains
- Checked in
- Met DENnis, Tim, Brandon from the Ferry
- Parched quick visit to shell – water
- Preconference dinner
- DENLC Precon kickoff unconference topic suggestions –
- My topic submisstion – DEN birthday celebrations to build community
- Walmart debacle (turtle paced checkout)
- Den teacher summer camp party
Day 1 Photo Recap
DENSI2013 – Day 2, Saturday
- Woke up to once again sharing with my wonderful roomie, Paula Naugle
- Unconference Day – a day of unstructured planning for continuing the DEN. A day of unstructured learning about topics that interested LC members.
- Dinner at Skinny Pancake with Paula
- Walk along the beautiful Burlington boardwalk
Day 2 Photo Recap
DENSI2013 – Day 3, Sunday
- Community Service Project
Others helped pack 200 lunches for local Burlington families. I helped assemble cards that were included.
The T-shirts we purchased help raise $850 for the Purple Feet Foundation
- Impromtu Fieldtrip to Ben and Jerry’s
- Press Photos
- BBQ – a great meet and greet
- Kristin Wilcox from North America shared her story
- Chompie and Lance shared some news
- Team Meetings
- WDEN news worthy moment … creating the news?
Day 3 Photo Recap
DENSI2013 – Day 4, Monday
Day 4 Photo Recap
DENSI2013 – Day 5, Tuesday
- Keynote – Richard Byrne
- Mobile Magic with DE – Robin Martin
- Exploring Edmodo – Selena Ward
- Saw a few overwhelmed faces so I decided to hang out by the Fireside Lounge. Tweeted out my location in case anyone wanted to pull back a minute and connect.
- How to Hook Em…. Engaging Science Demonstrations
- Name That Tune
- DENmazing Race
- DEN summer camp activities
Day 5 Photo Recap
DENSI2013 – Day 6, Wednesday
- Keynote – Hall Davidson – The New 3 R’s (Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, and QR Codes)
- Getting your Google Certification Going – Cheryl Lykowski
- Oh the Places You’ll Go for Free PD – Chad Lehman
- Let Them Be Heard – Leanne Daughrity
- Dinner with @plnaugle and @techynana
Day 6 Photo Recap
DENSI2013 – Day 7, Thursday
DENSI2013 – Day 8, Friday
- UnClosing – Interested individuals stood up to reflect on a great part of this week
- Dean Shareski – Whatever Happened to Joy
- Dried our tears and moved on to bring our joy and passion back to our respective buildings
- Since my husband wasn’t expected to arrive until 8:00 pm. I offered to run Paula Naugle and Monique Liles to the airport. Just couldn’t say goodbye. Thankfully we can stay connected through the DEN and social media. So my parting words were “Catch ya on the Web”.
- Came back to claim my items from the dorm room and check out.
- Offered if anyone else needed a ride since I had extra time. This turned out great. Stephanie Bass who otherwise would have spent hours sitting at the airport came and had lunch with me. Then we walked along the beautiful water’s edge. On our walk we ran into Bridget who joined us. Then we ran into Jill, Carlos, and Casey exploring. We all gathered for a cool drink at Splash. A perfect way to spend the afternoon.
- Drove Stephanie and Carlos to the airport.
- Went to await my husband’s arrival so that my summer vacation could begin now that DEN Summer Camp had concluded.
Please can I come back next year!!??!!?? And just for good measure as my Dad use to say, “Pretty please with sugar on top.”
More notes to come. Just realized a few are in a different medium.