Jeff Reed on Read Across America Day

From Discovery Educator Jeff Reed:

The second graders of East Pike Elementary School in Indiana, Pennsylvania created their own digital story titled And to Think That I Saw it Indiana, PA.  After reading And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street written by Dr. Seuss, students brainstormed highlights that one might see while in Indiana, Pennsylvania.  Each child wrote the text for a special place of their choice.  The text and a picture that they photographed themselves were inserted into a Power Point slide.  Finally, each student was recorded reading their own text and the recordings were added to the appropriate page.  The final product was a digital book highlighting their community that could be shared and enjoyed for years to come.

I would enjoy hearing how others have integrated technology to help celebrate this holiday or other ideas for digital storytelling.

1. Geri said:

Jeff-
    This sounds great! I would love to see it. Thanks!

2. Margie Pina said:

What a wonderful idea to integrate technology with Read Across America Day! This idea integrates literature and social studies in a unique way. The digital book will become a keepsake for the parents and the children involved in this project. I’d love to see a copy of this digital book.

3. Maryann Molishus said:

I love your idea, too. I have begun using digital storytelling with my second graders and they love it. I was able to see another side of the children when they had to record. We use MovieMaker. We made a big production out of it. They loved when someone “messed up” and had to do it over. Example, John–take two. They especially loved doing the “clap” with the take two. Do you post your stories somewhere? I would like to post our digital story, but I’m working out some kinks with our web program. Our next adventure is to do stories about habitats and insects. Unitedstreaming has such wonderful resources. I can’t wait to use them!

4. Jeff Reed said:

Maryann,

I haven’t posted any of the digital stories yet, but I am exploring ways to share with parents of the students in my room.
    I agree that unitedstreaming provides a classroom teacher with a world of resources. Right now we are writing scripts to replace the narration of short video clips about endangered animals. The students are incredibly motivated and are working on so many useful and relevant skills.

5. Kathryn Cochran said:

The technology I am able to bring to my kids is awesome. We are having a great time exploring and engaging in project based activities. Super!!!

6. RJ Stangherlin said:

I love what you are doing. Next year I am going to try to get our department to create digital poetry for our Art-English Project that is hosted by the Allentown Art Museum each year. If we succeed in moving forward in this project, I’ll write about in my DEN blog which I am about to create.