Blogging & Podcasting

One of the benefits of being a Discovery Educator Network member is having access to create your own blog, linked to your profile at the Discovery Educator Network website. These blogs are a great way to get to know fellow DEN members before an event or to keep up with them after you’ve networked at an event. Several DEN members have reported that they are successfully keeping a blog on the DEN website. Check them out:

Tom Turner, Brook Peabody, Cheryl Woolwine, Thomas Allison, Dena Blanchard, Lila Boles, Mary Z. Cox, and Nathan Guteras.

You can create one easily by logging in, clicking on your profile, click on "my blog", and then on the left hand side there is a button that says "Authoring Console". Click there and you can then see the "ADD POST" at the top right.

Podcasting has also been of great interest lately. Thank you SC/NC Field Manager Brad Fountain for sharing these articles: http://www.eschoolnews.com/marc/showme.cfm and http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/showstoryts.cfm?Articleid=6452. Hopefully in August we’ll be setting up a webinar by the summer institute attendees on what they learned about podcasting, and using Audacity. Until then,check out the masters at blogging and podcasting: Will Richardson, David Warlick, and Steve Dembo. Who has a blog of educational interest hosted on another site? Do you know of another great blogger or podcaster? Comment below and tell us how to find it.

1. Nikki said:

Thanks for posting these, it’s nice to be able to keep up with what teachers in your area are doing. I also have a DEN blog and included the link.

2. Tracie Belt said:

Danielle,
    Thanks for a great Den gathering last week at the Devil Rays game. It is great to have so many talented teachers sharing. I appreciate your hard work. I am looing forward to learning about pod casting and audacity.

3. LaQuita Hutchinson said:

Danielle,
    This really sounds like you guys had a “blast”. I would like to know more about your podcasting session.

4. Cheryl Woolwine said:

I had a great time at the Back to school Bash. Not only was it informative I won door prizes. I won a DVD Discovery’s pIlot program “The Deadliest Catch” and a two night stay at the Raddison World Gate in Orlando. WOW then for my digital story of the Rays I won a Wal Mart gift certificate to help with back to school items! It was so much fun! I enjoyed meeting new people and the chance to share what DEN had shared with me in ATLANTA this summer at SERDE. Lets do it again sometime.

5. Nathan Guteras said:

I am posting my pictures of the event on my link above.
    The Devil Rays were great. The training was fun learing about easy audio recording tools and the power of dinasours in Cosmeo.

Microsoft Photo Story is realy easy to use for Windows XP users. I plan to use it more with students this semester. Last year we created digital time capsules and year books for various classes. We also used the audio features with United Streaming to do some fluency recordings of students reading stories and commenting about them as tje clips played.

6. Nathan Guteras said:

It was my first time to Tropicana Stadium in St. Peteresburg, FL. Great participation and representation from my pals from Polk County Public Schools.

What a great time we had exchanging ideas and looking at United Streaming’s new features along with Inspiration 8. Microsoft Photo Story, and Timeliner.

Tommy F. did a great introduction about Cosmeo, and he spoke about the dianasour games.My school already set up a “Learning Adds Up ” account back in May.

Too bad the interactive voting response system did not work for the best “Devil Rays” digital story submission.

Seeing the game was fun, but best of all was seeign the live stingrays in the new tank. Even though we had two lines to wait in, and we had a ton of stairs to climb, the rays were fun to explore up close..

Thanks agian to Karen and Danelle for hosting such a great event for our state with wonderful door prizes and snacks.Most of all is was great learning about all Discovery Educators Network has to offer me and my school to promote learning for all. THANK YOU.

PS I tried posting this to my blog, yet I received an error.