Pluto Demoted!

My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine ____________.

News this morning is that Pluto, once the ninth planet, and the "Pizzas" that ended this pneumonic device for remembering the order of the planets that I learned in 4th grade and have been struggling to get out of my head ever since, has been stripped of it’s planetary status.

In case you plan to cover this with your students today (those of you who are back in school) — unitedstreaming has tons of videos on the solar system, but I particularly like "Exploring Space:  The Outer Planets:  Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto"

I love anything to do with space and the space program, so I find this news very cool.  However — this means we’ll have to come up with a new pneumonic device to remember the order of the planets.

Any ideas?

1. Aaron Smith said:

It was my understanding that it was only a small group of astronomers that wanted Pluto to not be a planet, and they always felt that way.

I may be wrong in some of the details, but I think the reason they’re getting press now is because of a recent plan to change the definition of “planet” that would raise three other satelites in our solar system to planet status.

2. Debbie Bohanan said:

It’s going to be very difficult to adjust to the idea that Pluto is no longer a planet. Think of all the extra Pluto cut outs that will be removed from teachers’ bulletin boards. We should start a Pluto recycling program. Thanks for the update.

3. Brad Fountain said:

From my wife Laura…her suggestion for a new mnemonic device.

Make Vera Eat More Jam Said Uncle Ned.

4. Jen Turney said:

LOL..I like Brad’s (well, Laura’s) suggestion.

You know, in Library World, we’ve been talking about what to do with all the now inaccurate books that we have on the shelves.

I swear, some scientists just don’t think about the repercussions for the rest of us! *grin*

5. Debbie Bohanan said:

How about this one:
    My Very Exhausted Mother Just Served Us Noodles!

6. Kim R said:

I’m going to put some students on editing and making a NEW planet video! 🙂 I’m SURE they’ll come up with something good.

7. Kristin Hokanson said:

Love everyone’s suggestions for mnemonics–let me throw one more idea out there…
    In Ed Warkentin’s blog Teach ‘Em How to Fish http://ewarkentin.edublogs.org/ , he posted a great story written by Pluto in response to this news.

What a fun activity to do with kids–Have them write from Pluto’s point of view OR the 3 satellites that Aaron mentioned might get PROMOTED to planet status.

8. Caren Appel said:

More Veterans Enter Memorials Just Shortly Under Noon.

I know it doesn’t make sense, but neither did the original lol 🙂

9. Brook Peabody said:

It seems crazy. You learn something in school and then when it changes it just doesn’t seem right. I love space stuff and to me Pluto will always be a planet. It just can’t be!

10. Susan Vinson said:

Going back to why it’s no longer a planet, Pluto is just too small and doesn’t have it’s own moon as previously believed, but is in a binary orbit with Charon. In order to keep it as a planet, scientists would have to shift the planet definition in a way that indeed would allow lots of other small bodies into the category. It’s sad to lose Pluto, and it has even been argued to keep it because of tradition, but the alternative is to teach and memorize even more names! Yikes!

11. Brett said:

It’s easy: Just get rid of “pizza” and turn ‘nine’ into “nachos”:

It turns into:
    “My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nachos”, only changing 2 words!