Are There Grapevines in the Bahamas?

BahamasIf there are no grapevines in the Bahamas, there is certainly GOOD NEWS from our Florida DEN members about the Bahamas!  Jane Sykes from the North Florida DEN introduced her students to the Bahamas through unitedstreaming. Her students chose to write their essays on scuba diving in the Bahamas.  Since many of her students had never Grapevine5_1 been there, she was able to show unitedstreaming video on the Caribbean from a file she had saved from last year.  The students were so excited they asked to see it again and pause it so they could write brainstorm ideas!

On the weekend, Jane was able to search and found two more video segments that showed scientists scuba diving in caves and around shipwrecks.  She is even going to hyperlink this to their Kidspiration web outline.  Thanks, Jane!

What teachable moments have you had when you’ve shown a video from unitedstreaming?

Here’s one more GOOD NEWS opportunity for you. The Discovery Educator Network and
The Character Education Partnership are working together in a unique project.  See if it is something you may like to do with your kids.

CharacteredConnecting Service Learning to Meaningful Academics: A Winning Combination.

If you are looking for a way to “Leave No Child Behind” while educating the whole child, consider service learning. This webinar will focus on how academic standards and learning can be enhanced with service learning techniques. The who, what, where, when, why, and how will be explored with examples of implementation from real-life schools having won the Character Education Partnership’s National School of Character award.  Register now for this event – limited seats are available.

Date:  Thursday, October 5, 2006
Time:  4pm ET (3pmCT)

To register for the event:
1.  Go to:  discoveryed.webex.com
2.  On the left hand sidebar, under "Attend a Meeting", click on "Register"
3.  On the blue bar at the top of the page, click the right calendar arrow over to "Thursday, October 5, 2006"
4.  Select "Connecting Service Learning to Meaningful Academics:  A Winning Combination" at 3pmCT and click Register  (NOTE:  the webex tool lists times in Central Time)
5.  Enter your name and email, click "Register Now"
6.  Registration information and link for the webinar will be sent to your email in box.

My South Florida DEN members loved reporting their events with this cool Quiz Builder.  I’ll try to keep it at the bottom of my blogs for easy access for you!

Ubiquitous1_19 As always, I am
Ubiquitously yours,
Karen

1. Debbie Bohanan said:

Thanks for keeping the link at the bottom of your posts. That will keep it on our minds and hopefully we will remember to post our events.

2. Debbie Bohanan said:

Thanks for the link to the Character Ed site. I forwarded it to our social skills teacher. It should be very helpful.

3. Debbie Bohanan said:

How long do you think the webinar will last? Also, if my social skills teacher and I want to log on using only one computer, how does she receive credit for attending the webinar too?

4. Karen Seddon said:

Hey Deb,

You are the girl with the greatest questions! Hooking up a webinar to a projector so you can share with your colleagues is brilliant. Just be sure to send me her name when you host the event and she’ll get “credit!” I don’t think the webinar will be the full hour, but block that time out just in case. (It’s tricky around school schedules, hey?)

5. Michele Futch said:

The Character Ed webinar goes right along with the Character Program at our school. I am looking forward to it!

6. Michele Futch said:

We have a few characters at our school, too! (LOL)

7. Danielle Abernethy said:

That’s nothing Michele – Karen and I have a few characters in our DEN. Good ones! I promise! And we’re going to see some fun characters this weekend. I want to see Donald!

8. Danielle Abernethy said:

Great Good News Jane! Keep shining that star!

9. Danielle Abernethy said:

Great Good News Jane! Keep shining that star!

10. Michele Futch said:

You’re right, Danielle. I will have a hard time telling our characters from the real ones on Saturday!

11. Cheryl Woolwine said:

Thanks for sharing Jane – Great idea. Unitedstreaming is a great way to introduce material to students they are not familiar with, it gives them a real life look at something normally not available to them.

12. Cheryl Woolwine said:

I only got to hear the last 30 min of the Character Webinar – hope they plan to do it again or post it as a podcast.

13. Cheryl Woolwine said:

There were definetly a lot of characters at Epcot and other Magic Kingdom parks, Saturday!

14. Fotini Guzman said:

I checked out the link on Character Education. It’s great. When you get a chance, check out the Resources link. I visited Learning-For-Life. It has games for kids related to character ed and safety.

15. Debbie Bohanan said:

Ann Cooper is the name of our Character Ed teacher who participated in the webinar with me.