If there are no grapevines in the Bahamas, there is certainly GOOD NEWS from our Florida DEN members about the Bahamas! Jane Sykes from the North Florida DEN introduced her students to the Bahamas through unitedstreaming. Her students chose to write their essays on scuba diving in the Bahamas. Since many of her students had never been there, she was able to show unitedstreaming video on the Caribbean from a file she had saved from last year. The students were so excited they asked to see it again and pause it so they could write brainstorm ideas!
On the weekend, Jane was able to search and found two more video segments that showed scientists scuba diving in caves and around shipwrecks. She is even going to hyperlink this to their Kidspiration web outline. Thanks, Jane!
What teachable moments have you had when you’ve shown a video from unitedstreaming?
Here’s one more GOOD NEWS opportunity for you. The Discovery Educator Network and
The Character Education Partnership are working together in a unique project. See if it is something you may like to do with your kids.
If you are looking for a way to “Leave No Child Behind” while educating the whole child, consider service learning. This webinar will focus on how academic standards and learning can be enhanced with service learning techniques. The who, what, where, when, why, and how will be explored with examples of implementation from real-life schools having won the Character Education Partnership’s National School of Character award. Register now for this event – limited seats are available.
Date: Thursday, October 5, 2006
Time: 4pm ET (3pmCT)
To register for the event:
1. Go to: discoveryed.webex.com
2. On the left hand sidebar, under "Attend a Meeting", click on "Register"
3. On the blue bar at the top of the page, click the right calendar arrow over to "Thursday, October 5, 2006"
4. Select "Connecting Service Learning to Meaningful Academics: A Winning Combination" at 3pmCT and click Register (NOTE: the webex tool lists times in Central Time)
5. Enter your name and email, click "Register Now"
6. Registration information and link for the webinar will be sent to your email in box.
My South Florida DEN members loved reporting their events with this cool Quiz Builder. I’ll try to keep it at the bottom of my blogs for easy access for you!