Epcot

100_0576 Every Person Comes Out Tired. Yep. I think if they are really looking for a new acronymn for Epcot, that would be perfect.

On Saturday 10 educators joined us for an introduction to the YES programs offered by Disney and then we got to explore all four parks. Their assignment: explore the parks through the eyes of a 5-12th grade student and then write a pre and post activity using Cosmeo for SciTechTreks upcoming field trips. First we met with the YES team, were explained the various programs, and then Dean 100_0581led us through a sample chemistry ice-breaker and then we completed a "synergy" team building activity. After some lunch to refuel we went our own way to explore the parks (thanks for the park hopper passes!) and think of what we could do with what we learned. Some of us hopped from Epcot, to Animal Kingdom and then ended the night with fireworks at the Magic Kingdom. So yes, we came home exhausted!

100_0602Thank you to the ten who were able to make it! Looking forward to our next trip at NASA, which has 4 spots open as of this morning!

Two questions: What does synergy mean? And don’t they look cute in their Discovery Blue ears?

Tags

1. Wendy Norton said:

First, thank you for the opportunity to be apart of this program. We spent the day in EPCOT. I think the best part was the the Living Seas, the universe of energy and the Land. All these attractions have great potential for embedding teaching students about science. Second, we enjoyed celebrating other cultures through the Food an Wine Festival, sampling the food was interesting. I look forward to seeing how the rest of the team viewed the day.

2. Joe Brennan said:

I’m always jealous when somebody goes to WDW. Now I’m doubly jealous since it was also a DEN event. What a great learning experience!! I especially like your way of celebrating those cultures.

3. Karen Seddon said:

Now that’s a lot of brain power all in one place! Yeah Florida. Thanks Danielle and Lyman for this great initiative.

Don’t be jealous, Joe -Come on down!

4. Danielle Abernethy said:

Hey Joe! I’d love to have you come down! We’re doing Sea World, NASA and Busch Gardens in the coming up months!

5. Tom Turner said:

Joe…

Cmon down at any time…I’ve not really paid to get into WDW since 1990…Pays to know people in the right places!

Glad you all had a good time. It was funny running into Debbie B and Cheryl on Friday night. DEN sure makes this big world a lot smaller.

6. Deb Jones said:

Saturday was my first adventure with a superb group of creative educators! We not only wanted to conquer that photo mosaic puzzle, we had to know how it was created so we could make one ourselves. What fun! And yes…I just had to go to Asia to climb Mt. Everest. About that Yeti…well, I’ll never tell!

7. Cheryl Woolwine said:

What a day! It was really interesting hearing about the YES programs going on at WDW and now all of this with Cosmeo! I spent part of the day at Animal Kingdom. I think it has some great potential for Cosmeo projects (and I had to watch my daughter in the parade)- Then I went through the countries at EPCOT and it was a great time to do it – I was able to get some recipe ideas from China, Italy, and Australia. Usually Australia is not represented in EPCOT but was included in the international food and wine festival. So I was able to do some Atlas planning as well. I believe I am planning an animal lesson plan and a cultural lesson plan. I definetly lived up to Danielle’s Acronym for EPCOT – Fortunatly I ate at the festival sampling different foods from different places – so when I arrived back at the hotel I could go no further! It was a lot of fun!

8. Cheryl Woolwine said:

Synergy – the whole is equal to the sum of its parts(parts in combination).
    Our Blue Discovery Ears were a hit!

9. Kathy Bunch said:

WHat a great day!! I love being a part of DEN!!

10. Michele Futch said:

Oh what fun we had! Angel and I really enjoyed Mission Space. It was fun. We enjoyed seeing everyone and had a great time!

We worked on our Math Skills after Epcot at the Outlet Malls. We got to see how fast our $ was subtracted from our wallets!

Can’t wait share my experience with everyone!

11. Michele Futch said:

Thanks Danielle and Lyman! It was a great day!!!

12. Danielle Abernethy said:

Michele and Angel sent me a great postcard from Mission Space. They did work before they did their math lessons! Poor Cheryl and Debbie- they got a double dose of Joey and Zoe after we finished the event section. They were truly tired! Kathy, it was great seeing you again. Deb, it was wonderful to finally meet you!

13. Angel Spurling said:

Thank you for such a great opportunity! I have never been so tired!! Mission space but was great but what I was most impressed with the Universe of Energy ! It was very creative and educational ! All students should experiance it !! Thanks again Danielle ! I loved it !

14. Michele Futch said:

I agree. The Universe of Energy was awesome.

You need to take Joey, if you go again, Danielle. It has lots of dinosaurs in it.

15. wendy Norton said:

I loved the Universe of Energy, I am building my lesson around this because it really encompasses alot of other EPCOT actvities. What are the dates Danielle for the other outings? Thanks again for a great opportunity. I loved the synergy of the group.

16. Michele Futch said:

I heard about the great time everyone had at EPCOT. I am looking forward to the ATLAS Italy event in Tallahassee Wednesday afternoon.

See ya then, Danielle!

17. Tommy McClellan said:

Looking forward to Wednesday night! See ya at the ATLAS Italy event in Tally.

18. Christine Brink said:

Sounds like a super experience! Looking forward to Shamu in Nov!

19. Danielle Abernethy said:

Give me an S! A BIGGER S! A little s! But don’t give me no sharks, no sharks, don’t give me no seals, no seals, just give me Shamu, shamu, shamu. Just give me Shamu, shamu, shamu!

20. Cheryl Woolwine said:

Wouldn’t it be great to actually experience one of the “YES” programs and then do this project!

21. Ana McMoran said:

Please, share share all those all those awesome projects you were able to do at EPCOT. I am really looking forward to NASA this next weekend and to meet all of the great DEN members.

22. Debbie Bohanan said:

Synergy is where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

23. Debbie Bohanan said:

The ears were a great hit and Donovan loves wearing them around the house.

24. Debbie Bohanan said:

What a great adventure! Danielle and I decided to go on a world wind tour and visit three parks in one day. The only place we didn’t go was MGM. Not only do you leave EPCOT tired, but your feet hurt too! I had a wonderful time and can’t wait to submit my lesson.