Do you Google?

Logo_sm Most of you have heard me say that unitedstreaming is my favorite tool for teaching with. Recently I was asked what was my second favorite tool. Wow. Second favorite? I always enjoyed all the goodies from myt4l and Scholastic, but I have to say, Google is coming up in major ways for educational use.

I’ve used their translator, articles, and even Google Earth. Once when I got lost I and forgot to bring my Garmin with me on a trip, I had my dad text message me directions Butterfly_3from Google. This summer in Atlanta I was amazed at all the cool ways Daniel, Jeff and others showed us how to use Google. (My favorite tip – make sure you set the settings to "strict" under preferences on the main page. Filters out images and sites that should not be found by students, especially in the classroom.) Our discussion boards are ripe with ways that educators are using this product in the classroom.

But here’s something new that I thought a few of you might want to try to take advantage of. Time is coming up fast, but they are about to do a Google Teacher Academy. Check them out for more information. I only know what’s listed there. And check out the Google Educator page as well.

Googlewebinar_3 Want to learn more about using Google in the classroom, but not ready for the Google Teacher Academy? Check out the webinars! We’ve got some coming up on Google Earth and Google Sketchpad. Go to the Professional Development Section>>webinars (on the right side) of unitedstreaming to learn more.

Already using Google with unitedstreaming? Tell us how by leaving a comment below.

1. Michele Futch said:

I would love to attend the Academy. But, teachers are responsible for paying their own way. It would be expensive to do that on your own, on a teacher’s salary.

2. Cheryl Woolwine said:

Wish I had more time to spend on google. I will have to try and make some time to do the google webinar – it looks like it would get me hooked!

3. Cheryl Woolwine said:

Michele, the Google academy is only for California teachers right now! We are a long way from California. I didn’t notice a cost at all for it just an aplication process. If it comes our way I’m sure we’ll hear about it.

4. Ana McMoran said:

It would be great to have it in our state, sounds really awesome. I use the Google Toolbar and all the add on buttons with all sorts o resources in it, it is amazing . Love Google.

5. Michele Futch said:

Thanks Cheryl, for the info! I was wondering who would want to go all the way to California for just one day? I would love to go, don’t get me wrong, but not for that quick of a trip.

6. Michele Futch said:

Maybe they’ll bring it to Florida? I definitely need to learn more about Google. I would like to attend one of their webinars. I will try to do that by the end of the year.

7. Cheryl Woolwine said:

I will be on the look out for The Google Academy to show up in Florida.

8. Danielle Abernethy said:

We’re going to do unitedstreaming: Days of Discovery a lot next year all over the state. You’ll have a chance to learn all sorts of things! Just wait and see!

9. Angel Spurling said:

Sounds great can’t wait to hear more about this !!

10. Debbie Bohanan said:

If we lived in Northern California it would be a great opportunity.

11. Debbie Bohanan said:

Maybe if enough people in Florida express interest in the program, they will do the next one in Florida.