NASA, DEN and Cosmeo

100_0629 WOW! When we were first signing up to do these field trips, most were a little hesitant to sign up for Kennedy Space Center. They knew that it would be great and very educational. However, they wanted to do the fun parks. But boy oh boy, was NASA fun! They truly rolled out the red carpet for us on this event.

Of course we had to go in DEN style. For our "head gear" this time around I thought 100_0636_2 we’d have a little fun with creatures from space. With my favorite alien Mork as inspiration, I searched various spots for antennae. Ours were blue and gold stars for the STAR DEN! We had quite a few comments by many visitors. None thought we were too insane. Wendy and Cheryl though were really stylin’ with their new DEN Lab Coats, star antennae and 3-D IMax glasses.

100_0627 We were met by Larry Harvey who gave us some information on NASA and the space Tommyprogram in education. He also explained a bit more about SciTech Trek to those who had  not heard about the program before. Next on the agenda, North Florida’s Cosmeo Kid Tommy Futch. He explained how this summer he went to Space Camp in Alabama and used Cosmeo before and after the camp to enhance and deepen his knowledge. Tommy looked really smart wearing his Space Camp Suit! He was a very important key to our field trip. The teachers are suppose to write pre and post field trip activities for students using Cosmeo. Who better to give them some ideas of what to do than Tommy?!

Imax After an I-Max film about the Space Program, we got to have a great lunch and win some prizes. Yummy food, fantastic dessert, and some great knowledge passed around as we networked with each other. Then came out Mark Lee, a retired astronaut with four space missions to his name. We enjoyed hearing his tales of space travel and then his answersGrouplunch to questions he entertained from the Audience. I’ll try to share this session later next week. I do have to say that the teachers came out in Ana McMoran from Hernando and Wendy Norton from Osceola. Ana asked him to share his favorite memory from space, and when Mr. Lee started going over several Ana reminded him she only asked for one. Then Wendy asked the question that was on everyone’s mind, but no one had the nerve or the right wording to ask, "How do astronauts use the restroom in space?"

100_0648 Everyone broke up after that to experience different events at the Kennedy Space Center. Some of us went on the bus tour, while other checked out the other I Max and the Hall of Fame. The small group on the bus tour also sampled Freeze Dried Ice-Cream and Oreo Cookies. I have to admit that as a child I always enjoyed this treat, but now I have to wonder why. YUCK!

It’s late, but Joey and I want to explore a little more about Space – so where am I taking Joey? Cosmeo! I found 5 great brain games, including the Cassini Mission and a quiz show that I’m sure to fail. Guess I better watch the videos and read the articles first. Joey’s gathering information for his field trip report, due on Monday. Thank goodness for Cosmeo, because mommy did not take notes.

Tags

1. Cheryl Woolwine said:

Thanks for making the arrangements Daielle, it was a lot of fun! I haven’t been to NASA in years (15 years)boy has it changed and when I left I recieved my education pass so I can go back and do the things I didn’t have time for!Having lunch with an astronuat was great – not only was the food good (Not space food) but the company was great! and the questions asked by the audience were interesting! Choosing what exactly to do my lesson on will be hard as there was so much and it was all so interesting and fun. Thanks for the opportunity!

2. Cheryl Woolwine said:

Thanks Tommy, The Cosmeo Kid – we really enjoyed hearing about your experiences at Space Camp and on Cosmeo. You look terrfic in your Space Suit! I am sure one day you will have an adult version – When you are an adult astronaut it will be nice to say I new you when! Good Luck!

3. Wendy Norton said:

I had a wonderful time and I loved the IMAX usually the motion gets to me but this time I really enjoyed it. I loved the interaction in the group we all shared alot of information, that is the best part of these trips. Thank you tommy for your cosmeo insight it was nicely presented. I have a good idea for my cosmeo lesson, it was difficult to narrow it down. Thanks Danielle for all your super planning and perfect execution.

4. Debbie Bohanan said:

I would loved to have joined you this weekend but it sounds like you had a great time without me. Keep up the great Discovery fieldtrips.

5. Debbie Bohanan said:

Cosmeo Kid is a great title for Tommy. We need to find a South Florida Cosmeo kid too!

6. Danielle Abernethy said:

We were too busy for that. We didn’t know we were going to lunch with an astronaut. 🙂

7. Kathy Bunch said:

Wow! What an interesting trip you must have had!! I loved the lab coats with the head pieces!!! Very Scientific!! I want to hear more about the educator passes please.

8. Danielle Abernethy said:

Take proof that you’re a Florida Educator and you can get a one year pass to Kennedy. You can also get a pass to Sea World. 😉

9. Deb said:

What a great day! Larry Harvey was a wonderful host and we so enjoyed his company at the luncheon. What a treat to hear Astronaut Mark Lee. To him, every question was a “good” question. What a thrill. I would have to say that we were most enthralled with the International Space Station. Just an awesome trip, but not enough time to see it all so we have to go back!!!

10. PamJones said:

Thanks for the wonderful trip. I really enjoyed NASA and while I was there I received my yearly pass. I can not wait to go back to explore the information in more detail for educators. My husband has been editing the pictures and video Ana and I took. The students should love working with them when we do our units on Space.

11. Ana McMoran said:

I had a blast. what a great place to go! ….and I am going back…upgraded my ticket so I am ready for the whole year.
    Thanks Danielle for all you hard work in making this possible. NASA resources are great and the educational value is priceless. Hope we can do this again!

12. Cheryl Woolwine said:

Those of us that attended had a great time! Those of you that missed it I’m sorry- but you can still participate in the educational resources and visit NASA with your education pass – I highly recommend a day or two visit.

13. Michele Futch said:

I agree, Cheryl. It was very fun and educational. I learned all sorts of new facts and trivia about Space & Nasa. Let the learning continue!!!

14. Nathan Guteras said:

Soudns like I missed a great learning opportunity at KSC. Thanks for posting the info and great photos of all the resources.

15. E. Froman said:

The trip to KSC was wonderful! I had only seen 3-D at home before Saturday, but it is waaaay better on a fifty-foot screen. The lunch was entertaining with the astronaut, but I had the most fun in the Apollo center on the bus tour. It was interesting to see and hear the things that happened in the control center during a mission. I also liked seeing the sheer size of the vehicles that had been used. Think about how big those machines were and they could only send three people into space. As for my other thoughts, one of the most intriguing aspects of NASA is how they make life better for everyone. Can you think of three items developed by NASA that are now used in your home or community? I will be basing my lesson off this premise. Have a wonderful day everyone!

16. Michele Futch said:

It truly was amazing to see the size of the buildings, equipment, and shuttles in real size!

17. Michele Futch said:

Tommy and I are still talking about how much fun we had at Kennedy Space Center. He couldn’t wait to get back to school to tell everyone about the trip!

18. Debbie Bohanan said:

OK, I know it’s corney but…..

everyone who went to KSC has been officially named the first DEN COSMEOnauts!!!!

Smile!!!!