Quit trying to cram those videos through your inbox!

Snag0157

Remember when 3 megabytes used to be a huge amount of space?  Heck, that was two FULL floppy disks!  Nowadays, even our digital photos can be up to 3 megabytes, but for some reason most mail systems haven’t quite kept up to speed.  When I was Director of IT at my school, we were pretty darn liberal in allowing people to attach files of up to 10mb.  However, if you want to send somebody even a very short video clip, more than likely your email system will spit it back out at you.

Enter YouSendIt.com.  Here’s how it works.  You upload a file (up to 100mb for the free version).  You put in the email addresses of the people you’d like to receive it.  Then they get an email containing a link to download the file.  Email servers are happy, your IT Directors are happy, and your file gets delivered quickly and securely!  I use on it on a pretty regular basis and have yet to experience any problems.

One other little tidbit for ya.  With the free version, that file can actually be downloaded 100 times.  Yes, that’s right, 100 times.  So, if you have a video clip or audio file that you want your students to download, you could actually use YouSendIt and not have to worry about posting it to the school servers at all!  Pretty sweet.

1. Patricia A. Hawkenson said:

This comes just in time to help me! I have been trying to send our students’ virtual museums down to our local Children’s Museum with no success. I will be happily sending on Monday! THANKS!

2. Traci said:

I used to love using YouSendIt, until my district blocked access to it. Luckily, there are a number of other similar services (though I still like this one the best) that aren’t blocked. I found it really useful when collaborating/sharing resources with colleagues, since our emailboxes are so woefully small.

3. Pat Ruffing said:

Thanks, Steve. This will be fantastic for sharing students’ digital stories and other multimedia projects with their parents/relatives. Maybe we can just email the link and leave it up to them whether to burn a copy or not. That would save us some money!

4. au said:

we use it often for sending large files. it’s pretty neat but links expire in 7 days.

5. call of duty black ops xbox 360 said:

What is with these unusual comments? Though me. How do you attain the content for your articles? I have a website too and have hard time to find something to blog about something folks would find interesting to read and participate in the blog. Well, respond back if you have any information.

6. hotels motels said:

And they will turn on you and take your freedom away. Don’t you know that such phrases as “Social Justice” “Economic Justice” “Environmental Justice”