PA DEN’s Sweet Treat!

Chocolate_world A packed pre-preconference + STAR filled Presentations + a special Award + Networking = A truly sweet treat for DEN STAR’s in Pennsylvania.

Hershey provided the perfect setting for an incredible 3 days of entertaining and educational professional development for over 100 Discovery Educators at this years PETE & C.

Steve_dembo Will_richardson DEN members began arriving an hour early to make sure they got the best seats in the house for a power packed pre-conference event. Will Richardson started the day off with Why the Read/Write Web Changes Everything.  Following the keynote, STAR DEN members attended sessions on Google Earth, Blogging, Podcasting, Differentiating Instruction, Movie Editing, unitedstreaming, iPods, Web 2.0 and much more.  Steve Dembo inspired educators with his closing session on The New Permanent Record.

Discovery_education_booth_petec The best part of this event was seeing how the energy transformed over to the following 2 days as Discovery Educators held their own workshops and even worked the Discovery Education Booth!

A HUGE congratulations to Lance for creating such a memorable 3 day experience for the PA DEN and also for receiving the 2007 "Friend of PAECT" award for his contributions to the local ISTE affiliate.

So, I’ll just beat everyone to posting about probably the most entertaining part of the weekend…. my "California Girl" moment.  The teacher in me still loves to walk by the vendor tables and find all the great little prizes and I got so excited when I saw a stack of plastic type sticks laying out for attendees to grab. (For all my friends the following was a true "Jannita" moment) As I went to grab one I shouted out "Cool… Look at these great back scratchers!" Well, to my utter embarrassment Matt Monjan gave me my 1st lesson in what "Ice Scrapers" were and used for.  But the jesting didn’t end there.  A Big thanks to Lance for making sure to share this session with 100 of his attendees the next day!  But at the end of the day, Lance and I came to a great compromise!

Back_scratcher

Ice_scraper_1 Den_6 Thanks to all for creating such a memorable weekend!

1. joe Brennan said:

Thanks for sharing that California moment with us, Jennita. That will certainly warm up my efforts next time I have to use the old back scratcher on the windshield.
    And congratulations to Lance! Considering the location, I’m sure it is a SWEET honor.

2. Tonya Wilson said:

Although this was my first DEN event with members from the east & west coast, I truly enjoyed myself. The speakers were great and the sessions were very useful.

I participated in Utilizing United Streaming to Differentiate; Google Earth; Builders; and Podcasting. I enjoyed podcasting most of all because it was something that was new to me and I found not to be too overwhelming.

Thanks to all presenters and Lance!

3. Matt Monjan said:

Jannita,

I am still laughing, but with you, not at you 🙂

Thanks for sharing your weekend, your knowledge, and your excitement on the chilly East Coast.

4. Bridget Belardi said:

My mothership called me home! The pre-conference session was fantastic! Thanks to the whole DEN team for energizing and inspiring so many teachers–you’re the best…back scratchers and all! 🙂

5. Chris Champion said:

FANTASTIC day, folks. Thanks SO MUCH for incredible sessions. I was so overwhelmed with Steve’s Web 2.0 tips that I shouted “STOP!” because I was so floored by all the great resources.

And Discovery: Jen Dorman (fourth pic, left) is a SUPER STAR – watch her 🙂

6. Maryann Molishus said:

Well done, everyone! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and hospitality!

7. Joe Konecki said:

This was my first PETE&C and DEN event and I absolutely loved it! Totally surpassed all of my expectations. Thanks to everyone for all of your hard work, it was great to meet all of you! Can’t wait until the next event!

8. Pat Ruffing said:

Thank you to all the planners of the Den pre-conference. It was once again fantastic! I just wish I could have gone to every single session. I am going through all my notes to expand them and try out links and make accounts for myself in various places. I am also going to try to follow up with Discovery Science Connections to try out that resource (at least until the end of the year!)

9. marti mcgrath said:

Jannita, I have shared your “back scratcher” comment with just about everyone I have seen. Of course it’s been easy, due to the incredible amount of ice we have had to help me make the connection. I would rather have been using the “little stick” for back scratching!

The whole event was amazing! What fun it was working at the Discovery Booth. Everyone left smiling. It’s wonderful to be able to give people only good news.