AFI on the East Coast: Free Event for STAR DEs

Afi_logo_2
We are thrilled to partner with the American Film Institute (AFI) to offer an incredible professional development opportunity to our STAR Discovery Educators.  On Tuesday, April 24th and Wednesday, April 25th, join us in Baltimore, MD for 21st Century Filmmaking Skills in the Classroom.

Afi_guide_1
This two-day intensive workshop focuses on the process and tools for using digital filmmaking in a standards-based classroom with the intent of increasing understanding of core subject matter.  Designed for K-12 teachers of all subjects, school media specialists, lead teachers, school-site practitioners and facilitators interested in 21st Century literacy.  This hands-on workshop directly aligns with AFI’s Lights, Camera, Education! curriculum now available in unitedstreaming.

Afi_us_1
The workshop is being sponsored in conjunction with this year’s MICCA pre-conference workshops.  However, STAR Discovery Educators do not need to pay.  Simply contact me (lance_rougeux@discovery.com) to register.  Space is very limited.

More workshop details:
21st Century Filmmaking Skills in the Classroom
Tuesday, April 24 (10:30 am – 3:45 pm)
Wednesday, April 25 (10:30 am – 1:00 pm)
John Hopkins University Downtown Campus, Baltimore, MD
Cost = $0 (for STAR Discovery Educators)

1. joe Brennan said:

Such a deal! If you’re in the Baltimore area, this is a great opportunity!! Take advantage of it. unitedstreaming subscribers can download the handbook and watch the Sean Astin narrated videos, but no peeking if you’re going to do the training at MICCA.

2. Sylvia Vigo-Smith said:

This is a fantastic offer. I would love to be a part of this in the name of DEN. I’m going in to school this morning to check with administration to see if I can get those days off. I love DEN!

3. Aaron Smith said:

Sounds cool, but attending the 2nd day of the workshop means missing two sessions out of the MICCA conference, and that’s assuming traffic is light. (It’s never light.)

I would attend since I’ll be at MICCA anyway, but Johns Hopkins and the Convention Center aren’t exactly close.

4. Tonya Wilson said:

I would love to attend the MICCA. I have enjoyed all of the STAR DE events have been beneficial to my position. The PA pre-conference affair in Hershey, PA was great.I have recently introduced my teachers and students to podcasting using the free online software Audacity (www.audacity.com).

5. Marie Belt said:

I would highly recommend this event! I was able to attend in California with a team from my school, and it was awesome! All of the teachers who attended have made several different types of movies with their students, ages kindergarte through 5th grade…It’s a great opportunity, and lots of fun!

6. Gretchen said:

Hey! I am so excited I will be able to attend. Does anyone know of a good place to stay? I will need to stay overnight due to the drive I will have! Look forward to meeting everyone who is attending!