Planet Earth: Webinar, Party, DVD…Read More!

Did you happen to catch the two most recent episodes of Planet Earth last night?  Shallow Seas and Great Plains were both remarkable.  If you agree, it’s time to get your students and colleagues excited as well.

Webinar
First, what better way to learn about the series than to hear from the producer herself?  Join us on April 24 at 1 pm EST for a webinar with Dr. Penny Allen.  Have your students post their questions to the blog in advance.

All the details re: the Planet Earth webinar can be found here.

Party

Pe_image_3

Second, why not host your own Planet Earth party?  With a little creativity you can even report it as an event to help keep your STAR status in the DEN.  To help you get started, here are a couple images for your invitations as well as some special Planet Earth recipes.

Pe_image_2_3Pole to Pole Chicken Skewers
Download poletopolechickensatayskewers.pdf

Deep Ocean Party Punch
Download deepoceanpartypunch.pdf

DVD

Update!  As of 5 pm on Tuesday, April 10 we’ve had 31 STARs complete the quiz (10 of them got a 100%) with an average score of 78%.  For those who only missed the golden eagle question and selected 200 mph, I’ll send you a DVD as well 🙂

Third, to add to your party, in preparation for the webinar, have your students (note: please preview it first) watch the Pole to Pole episode.  If you need a copy of the DVD, just get a 100% on this Planet Earth quiz and we’ll mail you a copy (if you are one of the first ten STAR DEs to get a perfect score).

Tags

1. Elaine Plybon - Texas LC - Blog Coordinator said:

Well, I tried — I missed two questions, so I won’t get a DVD, but THANKS for the opportunity – that was fun!

2. wendy norton said:

Wow, I got 100%. I purchased the DVD using the special offer on TV. I love this program and can see how it can be used in the classroom. The images are wonderful and the presentation keeps you in awe the entire time the program is on. Thanks for this great addition.

3. Teryl Magee said:

Thanks Lance for the fun ideas for a Planet Earth party! I love the idea of the chicken skewers and punch. My kids should love the chicken and the non-doctored up punch! I can’t wait for my kids to be part of the webinar either.

4. Ronique said:

Hi Lance,

You’ve probably gotten this question already – but let me go ahead and ask…Will any of the episodes “premiere” in unitedstreaming? I have some excited educators in Connecticut asking for more!

5. Lance said:

Ronique,
    We are waiting to see how the Planet Earth content will be integrated. Stay tuned!

6. Patricia A. Hawkenson said:

Can the question regarding the speed of the golden eagle be verified? My students found many sources listing the speed at 200 mph. (The only question we got wrong!)

7. Lance said:

Interesting…post the source and if it is valid, I’ll send your class the DVD. And, tell them thanks for getting to the bottom of this for me 🙂

8. Michele Futch said:

My son and I watched part of this episode last night. We were amazed at the dolphins! We did not know that they could “hydroplane.” That was awesome!

9. Matt Monjan said:

The eagle question would be a great question for Penny during the Webinar…

10. Debbie Bohanan said:

I scored 100% and can’t wait to receive the DVD. We are working on researching the animals from each episode for a project and this will be a great reference tool since the website with all the animal information does not work on our macs. We are running Internet Explorer 5. and the highest version of Flash available is 7.0. Any alternative sites we can visit for the same information about each animal?

Thanks and I look forward to the arrival of the DVD and the next webinar with Penny!

11. Katie Knapp, VA DEN LC Chair said:

Same here…I believe we missed 2 questions, both of which we verified the information at http://www.answers.com. What fun! Better luck next time.

12. Teryl Magee, TN DEN LC Chair said:

Can’t wait to share the DVD with my kids! This is going to be a great resource for us to use this year and in the years to come.