Today we hosted a Day of Discovery in Miami-Dade County at Westland Hialeah HS where over 100 educators from across the county gave up their Saturday to join us. It’s hard to put into words the energy and excitement that filled the air throughout the day.
We started the morning by recognizing Miguel, a $1500 winner of the Toyota Teen Driver contest from Miami-Dade. You can watch the winning submission here. After we played the video for the participants, Miguel talked to the audience about the importance of leveraging technology in the classroom. He encouraged them by recognizing that technology is always changing and sometimes difficult to keep up with, however it’s important to leverage because it allows for teens like him to address important social issues.It was an honor to recognize Miguel as part of the Day of Discovery and it’s a moment I will not soon forget.
After the award, my rock star partner in crime Jannita walked the participants through “A Day in the Life of a Discovery Educator“. (Corresponding presentation can be found here.) Then it was off to their concurrent sessions.
The rest of the day was filled with opportunities to learn more about topics such as:
- Learning Beyond the Bell- Discovery Education’s Student Center
- Teachers, Technology and the Common Core Transition
- Ayuda! Pomoc! Tulong! Help! I’m an English Learner in a Digital Land (corresponding webinar here)
- Telling Stories, Sharing Information, Demonstrating Understanding (corresponding webinars here and here)
- Create, Communicate, Collaborate (one page handout here and corresponding webinar here)
- Brain Friendly Learning (corresponding webinar here)
- Using Challenge Based Learning to Boost Achievement (corresponding webinar here)
- FLIP out! Learning how to FLIP your classroom (corresponding webinar here)
We wrapped up the day in the auditorium by talking about the importance of connecting Miami educators with their most valuable resources-one another. We even recorded them singing a song about the DEN in unison! I had an absolute blast with these educators and I can’t wait to be back in Miami to build on what they have learned.
You can see some of the pictures from the day here.
I would like to thank Principal Munoz, Lani and Alex for their amazing hospitality and help to pull off a successful Day of Discovery. A huge thank you to the presenters who spent countless hours perfecting their presentations over the past few days. I would also like to thank the Miami educators who gave up their free time (especially after weeks of testing!) and gave us their full attention as we overwhelmed them with information.
It’s clear that the day was a success, and it was SO much more than a Day of Discovery. It was a small step towards transforming teaching and learning.