The first day of school is quickly approaching, and for some of you may have already passed. When the day comes, the reality of summer ending kicks in and just like that, you’re back in school mode. You’ve worked hard and used your creative juices to get your classroom all set up, the students have done all of their back to school shopping, and now it’s time to get started!
The first day of school can be nerve-wracking for everyone; teachers and students. Start it out with some ice breakers to help everyone relax. Here are some ideas to get the school year started:
- Go around the room and have each student discuss what they did over the summer.
- 3 truths and a lie – Have students tell 2 things that are true about themselves and one thing that is false, have the classmates guess which one is the lie.
- Give students a worksheet with different characteristics on it (Middle Child, June Birthday, Born outside of the country) and have them walk around the room finding someone with those characteristics.
- Take pictures of the students and ask them a few questions about themselves. Set up a slideshow with each student’s information and have them introduce themselves when it gets to their slide.
- Have students draw a picture of their favorite thing they did over the summer then share with the class.
What are some ways that you help break the ice on the first day? Help out your fellow teachers and share what ways you kick off the year in your classroom by clicking on “Leave a Comment” link below.