1. Donna Miller said:

Interesting video – like the idea of walking around video taping a segment. We get our students involved in a few community activities such as the food pantry and mailing stuff to our troops – of whom we have a few parents and relatives.

2. Chad Lehman said:

I serve on the Board for my neighborhood association. It helps me get to know people a little better and help shape neighborhood events.

In regards to our educational communities, I wonder if people are more involved, meaning communication-wise, with their online PLN than they are with their school communities. For me, I think that’s been the case and I think I need to change that balance.

3. Jeff Hemmett said:

In a word: stories.

The strongest communities have a collective understanding of each stakeholder, and the best way to reach that collective empathy is via storytelling.

So in education communities – What is the experience and the story of a child taking on a specific topic? How did it feel for the teacher as they were facilitating? What is going through the mind of a parent when they ask, “What did you learn at school today?”? How are things going at an administrative level? How are things going at the Ministry level?

If we can create a culture where these stories are given air, then we have not only a community, but a community with a collective understanding.

Dean the store you walked past (lululemon) built their entire brand by building a community. And like any strong brand, all they do is tell stories.

4. Meagan Rhoades said:

I feel like I’ve been hearing the message to connect with stories over and over in the last couple weeks. Shortly before seeing this, I had watched this video.

We just had a long conversation with our school district admin team about how to communicate to parents that they don’t need to panic about the new Common Core standards and concluded that the person who can best make that connection with a parent is their child’s teacher, because that is the person whose ‘story’ you trust.

Social Media is proving to be a fantastic and positive way to tell our story in our school district as well, and to really connect with our community on a daily basis.

Thanks for extending the thinking for me!

• Jeff Hemmett said:

Couldn’t agree more Meagan – social media is great for storytelling, and for creating a dialog as well.

If you are using Twitter, their Lists function is outstanding for aggregating your community members.

For example on our Twitter we have a List of teachers currently running our program – that way they know about other classrooms moving through the learning experience at the same time. This way they can reach out, collaborate, and connect more easily.

Just a quick tip that you may or may not have put in to use already 🙂

5. Aimee Bartis said:

Participating in a community means adding to its value. Giving something of myself – time, talents, resources.
    But I must feel like I belong to the community first. To feel a part of a community you should see yourself in its members. And you should feel welcomed. Some people see themselves in a community and want to contribute but may not know how or might not feel welcomed. Community members should make an effect to include new members and try to plug them in.