Taking Student Grammar To The Next Level

DE_INV_Events_TeachAppreciationWeek_2015_Outlook
Win Grammarly Premium!

In celebration of DEN Teacher Appreciation Week, our friends at Grammarly are excited to offer their extension and a free premium account for 10 lucky Discovery Educators.

What is Grammarly?

2015-05-05_09-19-21Correcting student work demands a lot from teachers whose time and resources are already stretched thin. The challenges of learning English grammar often find students repeating the same mistakes again and again. Being familiar with the most common grammar errors up front can help teachers lead students away from blunders and on toward better writing.

During National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) 2014, the team at Grammarly, the automated proofreader, crowdsourced a novel with nearly 500 writers from 54 countries.

grammowrimo-finalThey analyzed the submitted text, uncovered some patterns in writing mistakes, and summarized that information in an infographic. Grammarly found that writers of all levels tended to frequently misuse commas, which was the number one error. Incorrect capitalization came in a close second, followed by wordiness, and missing determiners such as “a,” “an,” and “the.”

Technological advances have enhanced the student/teacher relationship by helping teachers quickly identify where their students need improvement. Grammarly’s application—used by over 600 colleges and universities as well as individual writers—is a great example of technology at work helping teachers guide students toward better written communication. Grammarly provides a quick, easy way for teachers to check homework and academic papers for mistakes, and its built-in plagiarism checker quickly verifies authenticity. By making the proofreading process less time-consuming, Grammarly allows teachers to focus on other aspects of a student’s work and spend more time helping them develop their style and content. The software doesn’t just fix mistakes, it helps students learn so they don’t make them again. Grammarly offers easy-to-understand explanation cards that teachers can use to walk through necessary changes.

Win Grammarly Premium2015-05-01_13-43-38

In honor of Teacher Appreciation Week, we have teamed up with Grammarly to provide ten Discovery Educators with a free one-year Grammarly Premium account. Grammarly Premium:

• Checks for 250+ contextual grammar and spelling mistakes
  • Integrates with Chrome to grammar check online writing instantly
  • Offers a Windows Microsoft Office add-in
  • Includes a plagiarism checker

Technology has made dramatic improvements to the way teachers are able to interact with their students and provide them with a progressive education. Based on your journey as an educator, comment with your answer to this question for a chance to win:

How has technology enabled you to provide a better educational experience for your students?
Answer in the comments below, and we will randomly choose ten Discovery Educators to receive a one-year Grammarly Premium account. Best of luck!

1. Michelle Admin Sprouse said:

Technology has helped me to organize student assignments and work and has helped me to encourage collaboration among students and deeper reflection. Students are less afraid to revise a digital assignment than a hand-written one.

2. Beth Weeks said:

Technology has helped me motivate students. Technology has helped me have students collaborate with each other and those outside our walls. Technology has helped me widen the walls of my classroom for students! Technology is a great way to explore and present information!

3. Stacey Buckalew said:

Technology has allowed my students to be engaged and differentiate their learning experience. Technology is not going to replace instruction but enhance the learning environment. It kick starts the conversations as well as compliments the knowledge that students need for their learning in the classroom.

4. carolyn hillarious said:

Technology continues to be a resourse that helps me teach my students how to make accomodations for their learning disabilities and differences. As a special education teacher tools like google apps, grammarly and ebip help my students overcome barriers and meet expecations. Technology has helped level the playing field so that they are on equal standing with their regular education peers. Technology has taught my students self reliance. Once I show them how to use the tech tools they can continue to learn outside the classroom and be able to work independently. Technology has also openned up learning oppurtunities for my studnets. They tweet authors whos books they have read and kype with guest presenters from around they world. Technology means the world is now their classroom.

5. Brenda Gillies said:

Technology me personalize learning for students. My students set learning goals and use technology to acces different learning platforms (Khan Academy, Tenmarks, Discovery Education, etc.) and other programs (Google slides, Google Docs, Kahoot, etc )to showcase and share their learning with others. Technology has enabled me to help students meet their learning goals as well as encourage their independence and ownership of their learning.

6. Shelby Bailey said:

Technology allows my students to be more engaged in their learning while simultaneously preparing them for their futures. Technology allows me to reach all learners at all levels.

7. Dacia Jones said:

Technology is an equalizer among our students. It gives a voice to the voiceless.

8. Cheryl Mahaffey said:

Technology is used quite consistently in my classroom. As the year progresses we have used iPads and the laptops much more frequently. My students enjoy creating book trailers, videos on a topic they have researched, and working on their essays. When students collaborate on my blog, Twitter, and Instagram accounts, my higher level PAP students interact and assist my lower level students to gain more knowledge. Not only does this assist my lower students, but my PAP students gain confidence and grow themselves when they help others.

Technology will only grow in importance and usage in my classroom since our school is going 1:1 with iPad airs next year. I am really excited to be able to grade, send work, and assist my students in developing a passion for reading, writing, and technology.

9. Cheryl Lykowski said:

Technology has impacted my role as an educator by allowing me and my students to travel the world without ever leaving our classroom. With technology, my students and I are afforded opportunities to connect and collaborate with other classrooms and experts such as research scientists and astronauts from around the world. We are able to share our culture and learn about other cultures, as well as learning from experts in the field. This is giving my students real world skills that will carry them boldly into their future.

10. Karen Zilhaver said:

Technology in my classroom allow students to go on virtual field trips around the world, connect with other classrooms, join in virtual choir’s, blog, create online boards, create music and movies, share lessons and collaborate with classmates, have visiting authors and experts in the classroom, and a million more things. Curriculum is the driving force, but technology is the fuel that helps us reach our goals.

11. Wanda Hanley said:

Technology has enabled me to create lessons and projects that engage my students and encourage them to think critically, collaboratively, and creatively.

12. Katie Lyon said:

Technology has allowed me to add excitement to the curriculum for my students. Whether it’s me showing them rich media content or my students creating it themselves, with technology we are guaranteed that we are no longer chained and limited by a textbook.

13. Wendy nortom said:

Technology can level the playing field, it lets my students be engaged in their own learning They learn to creatively design their vision for the future, using a wealth of resources that can fit individual need and preference. There innovations lead to their future

14. Rachel Yurk said:

Technology allows me to help students reach outside the walls of my classroom and to collaborate with others. Students can find an authentic audience and learn from others.

15. Sara Badiner said:

How did I not know this existed?! As a high school English teacher, this sounds like an amazing resource. I can’t wait to get home so I can check it out in greater detail!

16. Amy Klubertanz said:

Technology allows me to reach all students with content when my voice alone isn’t enough. We can take virtual field trips, document our findings, level the content for multiple ability levels, access content we can’t physically because of constraints, etc.

17. Jane Essenburg said:

Kids are not afraid to explore when they see something new. Every time I put a new tool in front of my students, they manage to take it much farther than I thought they would have. I take great care to ensure that the technology is embedded as part of the lesson, not the point of the lesson itself. Using technology as a tool lets my high fliers go above and beyond as they find ways to use the tools that I hadn’t thought of. It engages and motivates those students who might struggle. It lets my students publish their work to share with the world on our blog. It has let us work with students in England, New Zealand, Australia and new week…Spain! I’m excited to see what else will come as I learn more.

18. Elizabeth Riggs said:

Technology has opened education to a whole new world. When I started teaching 25 years ago I never dreamed our everyday lives would revolve around ot. In classroom, it is almost an essential part of the day in order to expose students to the world and take teaching to literally new heights.

19. Carolyn Rains said:

Technology has allowed me to connect to many great resources like Discovery Education and the many DEN Stars!

20. Dawn Gardner said:

I have seen Technology give students the ability to be the teachers in the class to educators. Students of today are growing up with things that seasoned educators couldn’t imagine ever using a few years ago. The possibilities are endless for engagement and enrichment in the classroom.

21. Cheryl Woolwine said:

Technology has allowed my students to be on the same playing field as their peers.

22. Deb Thonus said:

Technology is a great equalizer. Through multimedia and UDL tools like grammarly students’ needs are met more efficiently and in a timely manner. Students need to get authentic feedback with their writing and technology offers tools that can help. I love Internet composing platforms like Google Drive for increasing collaboration opportunities. Technology can enhance and deepen the learning experience allowing teachers to more easily differentiate to meet the needs of all students.

23. Nancy Swanson said:

Technology has enabled me to provide a better educational experience for my students because they can show what they know by creating digital projects. With technology at their fingertips they can research any questions they have and not have to leave the classroom. Technology creates excitement in learning with Kahoot, board builder, and Aurasma. They can visit places around the world virtually like the GeoShow. They can communicate with students, authors, etc. from anywhere in the world through google hangout or Skype. Technology has really made the walls of the classroom disappear! It is an awesome time to be a student!

24. Alison Oswald-Keene said:

Technology allows me to connect my students with the world around them. Through the integration of technology, I can take my students almost anywhere in the world and allow them to experience sights and sounds they would otherwise never experience. I teach Earth and Space Science and technology is what allows my classes to leave the textbook ideas and follow their personal quests into our content and standards

25. Liz Charlton said:

Technology allows all of my students to sharpen their message, to better target their audience, to explore ideas, to share and collaborate, to tell their stories in the way they want and provides them with real audiences, inspiring them to improve.

26. Chelsie Nail said:

I am a believer in place-based education: the idea that students need to connect with their community and those around them in order to better themselves and each other. Technology provides an opportunity for such growth. I have seen them share photos of sporting events, send messages of encouragement, and discuss current events throughout their area through their technology devices. They are given a broader insight to their community and what goes on within it.

Technology helps them reach resources even beyond their community. In a recent unit, we studied the Holocaust. We were able to take virtual tours, hear personal stories, and share our poetry of remembrance through the website of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, located in D.C. My students were able to connect to and interact with a community much different than their own.