While writing Fun Fact Friday, I encounter lots of fun facts that are interesting, but don’t necessarily require an entire article. With that in mind, here are more random, interesting, strange, and fun facts I’ve collected!
- Alien hand syndrome (AHS) is a rare neurological disorder that causes hand movement without the person being aware of what is happening or having control over the action. The afflicted person may sometimes reach for objects and manipulate them without wanting to do so, even to the point of having to use the healthy hand to restrain the alien hand.
- In 1968, Star Trek was the first American television program to show an interracial kiss between two characters.
- After leaving office, President Lyndon B. Johnson chose to grow his hair long.
- Winston Churchill’s mother, Lady Randolph Churchill, was born in Brooklyn, New York.
- Medical researcher Jonas Salk, creator of the polio vaccine. chose not to patent his discovery. When asked who owned the patent, Salk replied, “There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?”.
Want to learn about more random fun facts? Check out our collection of “fun fact” videos on Discovery Education Streaming!