Working on your weekly lesson plans? This Sunday blog series, Lively Lessons, will provide you with Discovery Education content and lesson plan ideas.
The human genome contains more than three billion nucleotides! That’s a lot!
Are you looking for ways to challenge your science students? Look no further! A collection of titles from Howard Hughes Medical Institute covers a variety of advanced biology topics. The programs are available in Discovery Education Science Techbook for grades 9-12.
Each title covers a topic related to biology, including DNA, sickle cell anemia, malaria life cycle, bacteria and viruses, dengue virus life cycle, HIV and AIDS, human embryonic development, maintaining a healthy weight, human anatomy, new limb regeneration, the nervous system, and more.
In the Classroom
- Use a video segment to open a lesson or introduce a new topic.
- Have students create infographics based on one of the programs in the collection.
- Allow students to use the Discovery Education Board Builder tool to help summarize information attained by watching one of the programs.
- Let students choose a topic to teach to the class, using the full video as an outline.
- Challenge students to find articles in scientific journals and other publications that support research presented during one of the programs.
On the Site
For a full list of titles, type “Howard Hughes Medical Institute” in the search bar and sort by “Recently Added.”
Share your ideas! We know you’re using resources and tools from Discovery Education everyday- in fun and creative ways. We’d love to highlight your ideas in an upcoming Lively Lesson.
It’s easy- just share your favorite content and a few ways you incorporate it into a lesson. To participate, complete this form and keep your eye on the blog- you may be featured in an upcoming post!