Discovery Education STEMinar – October 2016

STEM is truly everywhere when we look at the world around us! This month, we will explore how STEM and sports are interconnected in ways that students typically don’t think about.

STEMtistic of the Month:

On average, only 2% of the employees for an NFL team consists of players and coaches. So what is the other 98%?

Share this STEMtistic with your students and community. The goal is to spark conversation and help students see how they can make a career out of their passion! Check out these two links below that dive into STEM careers within the NFL:

NFL.com – What is an Equipment Director?

NFL.com – Who helps prepare for NFL Games?

October 2016 STEMtistic Image Link

 

STEM Content Connection: 

There are two resources we want to highlight this month, EA Sports Madden NFL Football by the Numbers & NFL Play60 Challenge.

Engage students by applying science and math concepts to real world scenarios in football by utilizing EA Sports Madden NFL Football by the Numbers. Students gain understanding and experience through problem based scenarios in which they are asked to use their knowledge to succeed on the field. Check out the Virtual Field Trip with Kyle Schutt as he went behind-the-scenes at EA Sports HQ and explored how video games are developed!

The American Heart Association and the National Football League are working with Discovery Education to bring the NFL Play60 Challenge to life using new interactive lesson plans and physical activity breaks. Challenge your students to apply their knowledge of physical activity to design and create a new type of exercise equipment. There is a STEMtastic lesson plan here to help you and your students through the design process.

 

STEM Career Challenge:

“You can’t be what you can’t see.”

STEM Career Challenges are developed to engage students in content tied to STEM career pathways often overlooked. Connecting student passions to their individual futures helps capture student interest in learning. STEM Career Challenges have been developed to allow flexibility and customization for each teacher, school, and district based on your own standards and curriculums.

This month, we look to introduce students to the STEM career of a Sports Statistician. Pose the challenge to your students and have them use critical thinking, collaboration, communication, and statistics to develop, explain, and share their solution.

Sports Statistician STEM Career Challenge – Click here

UPDATE: If you would like to submit a STEM Career and Challenge for us to share with the Discovery Community, please submit here: STEM Career Submission

 

STEMinar LIVE:

Join the DE STEM Team live on October 11th, 2016 @ 7:00pm (ET) as we highlight STEM in Action. STEM teacher leaders will share STEM strategies they utilize in their classroom that all educators can replicate to help develop a STEM culture. The DE STEM Team will also be live for “Open Office Hours” to answer questions, share ideas, and continue the conversation around STEM implementation and culture.

UPDATE: We had a fantastic Live chat with STEM in Action strategies being shared by Kelsey Harrell, a STEM teacher from Tampa, FL (Turner/Bartels K-8). Here are links to the two strategies she shared:

  1. STEM Hero of the Month – Click Here
  2. See Me Using the 4C’s – Click Here

 

#DESTEMChat:

Join the DE STEM Team for our monthly STEM Chat! We facilitate rich conversation between our guest host and STEMthusiasts from all over!  How do I participate in a #DESTEMChat? Click here

stem-chat-october-2016

2 Comments

  1. write my essay pro said:

    these were some interesting talks..by the way have you tried having a ted talk??there are always some interesting things discussed and pretty sure what you are talking about here won’t be left without attention there..best

Comments are closed.

Top