For more than 10 years, Discovery Education has provided Summer Institutes: free, immersive, residential-style, professional development experiences for our community of educators. Summer Institute sessions feature seminars and workshops from keynote speakers, the Discovery Education team, and members of the Discovery Education Community. This summer, we’re gathering at the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, and are excited to offer three ways for you to participate:
STEMmersion June 26 – June 30
Participants dive into collaborative experiences with their peers; investigate the Grand Engineering Challenges; and get new ideas, resources, and challenges to share with their colleagues for the next year.
Principal Summit July 12 – July 15
School site leaders learn ways to use technology to energize their own leadership, empower their teachers, and develop collaborative relationships with other school leaders.
DEN Summer Institute July 15 – July 20
Educators explore resources, tools, and programs focused on leading and supporting teachers, media specialists, and administrators through the digital transition.
Applications are open for the 2018 Summer Institutes until March 16 (9pm ET). Wondering if the Summer Institutes are right for you? Keep reading to hear more about the experience from former attendees.
- Connections. When we ask previous attendees what the benefit of attending the DEN Summer Institutes is, the resounding answer is the connections they are able to make with other educators. You’ll have time to share ideas with educators facing similar situations and meet with experts from a variety of fields.
- Customized Professional Learning. Throughout the week, you will have the opportunity to select from a variety of sessions presented by both the Discovery Education team and fellow attendees. You’ll leave with a deep understanding of how to use Discovery Education services and integrate digital media into your lessons. There is also an Unconference, which allows you to host or participate in conversations on topics determined by attendees.
- Time. In addition to scheduled sessions, you will have ample time to connect with other educators to have your questions answered, learn new strategies for using digital media, and hone your craft. Spend time planning for the coming school year, building a professional learning plan, and learning a few new tricks to take back to your classroom. From maximizing the use of Google Classroom with Discovery Education to Maker Space tools and literacy stations, if there is a topic you’ve wanted to dive into and learn more about, there is likely another educator to learn from.
- Leadership. Whether through a formal leadership role as a team leader or presenter or informally in discussion, there are many ways to lead at DENSI and beyond. We will also highlight a variety of tools you can use to share what you’ve learned with your peers when you return to your home district.
- Share. The learning and connecting doesn’t stop at the end of the event. You’ll be equipped with tools to share what you learned with local educators and be encouraged to continue the conversation in the DEN Online Community and at events throughout the year.
Access more information about our Summer Institutes, including an FAQ document and application, by visiting